The Recovery

Sabines POV

Ezra wouldn't wake up. We left him for a few hours, thinking that he needs his rest. Hours turned into a day and we were starting to get worried. We tried waking him up but he was completely unresponsive. After two days we moved him into the medical bay.

My anxiety went down a lot knowing that no more damage could be done with him. I could hold his hand and touch his face.

But something was wrong.

He was okay internally, his breathing was okay and he just had some bruises and cuts that would heal in a couple weeks, but he just wasn't waking up.

After a week of sitting next to his bed I questioned Kanan, bombarding him with questions.

"I said there was going to be side affects," Kanan assures me, but for how long?

After everything, I can't help but stay near him. Touching his hand reminds me that he's safe and here, no longer in the Empires grasp. I sit next to him, making sure nothing happens, and when he wakes up, I'll be there. I sleep next to him in a chair, but I think Kanan puts me to bed when I'm asleep because I always wake up in my room.

I hear Hera saying to Kanan how she's worried about me. How she wishes I would leave his side for more then a few minutes.

It's strange. You only know you love someone when there taken away from you. The thought scared me. What if I do love Ezra? I'm supposed to be independent, solo, alone.

Kanan says he might need some help speaking and walking when he wakes. I'll help him.

After two weeks of Ezra being asleep, I decided to talk to him. I once heard a story saying that they are still alive and awake in their soul, and they can listen to you even though they are in a coma.

One day, about a month into his coma, something happens.

"Yeah," I say, "I don't really do missions anymore. It's hard. We all miss you, and we want you to wake up, and see your smile. Can you hear me? Can you? Please give me a sign..."

I hold onto his hand, and I feel something. He squeezes back. It only lasts a second, but it's there.

"Ezra?" I whisper, but nothing happens. I stand up and press my lips gently to his. I stand up and watch for anything at all, and after he does nothing for a few moments, I look at the floor with tears in my eyes.

But then Ezra does something. His eyes dart open, and he gasps. His eyes look into mine, and he tries to sit up.

"Sabine?" He says, and I nod, beginning to laugh. Immediately I sit next to him. I hold his face in my hands and smile.

"Ezra? Are you really there? Are you okay?" I say, and after he nods and grabs my hands, I stand up.

"Kanan! Hera! Chopper! Zeb! He's awake!!! Guys!"

They come rushing in, smiling. They give him a hug, and say things like 'we missed you Ezra' and 'are you okay?'

I stand by his bed, smiling down at him like an idiot. Hera brings him a plate of food, and Kanan gives him some water.

"Hey guys," he says slowly, "what happened?"

We all laugh, all of us but me and Kanan. How will we tell him that he tried killing us, and turned over to the dark side?

Kanan pulls me out of the room.

"Don't worry Sabine," Kanan says, "he'll recover. He'll find out soon. It'll be okay."

I nod, smiling at the floor. It's okay. He's okay.