Chapter Two

Dally. It never crossed my mind he would be here. I turned to look at Pony and he was smiling at me. Then I looked at Dally. He winked at me again. I was half scared and half nauseous.

"Dinner's ready!" Darry called from the kitchen.

I slowly walked in and I ended up sitting next to Pony. I took one bite of my food and the nauseating feeling came back.

"I'll be right back." I ran out the door and I went to lay in the grass. The fresh air made me feel better, but I didn't want to go back inside. I heard the squeak of the door opening and a figure laid down next to me. I turned my head to see Dally.

"Nice night, huh?"
"Yeah," I answered.
"Do you want to go for a walk?" He asked.
"Sure." I didn't know what I was getting myself into, but I really did need a walk.

We walked down to the lot and back. A good two miles at the most. When we were almost home, Dally stopped me and stared into my eyes. It was pretty dark out and I was getting scared. He got closer and I panicked.

"Oww!" he screamed in pain.

Yes, I just kneed Dallas Winston in the groin.

"What was that for?" he sneered.
"I'm sorry, I just thought you were..." I didn't want to say it.
"What? I would do what?"
"I'm not going to say it!" I screamed.
"Oh," he seemed to get it, "well then, I don't want to have a crush on someone who thinks that I would do something so nasty the first day I met her." he started walking back and stopped, "are you coming or not?" he smiled.

"I'm so sorry again, it's just, I've never been out this late with a boy before," I whispered.

"I'm not that low, Clauds," Dally responded.

"Where the hell have you two been?" Darry asked as Dally and I walked through the door.
"We were worried sick!" Ponyboy added, getting angry.
"I wasn't feeling so well so I went with a walk and Dally decided to come with me," I answered.
"Well it's eleven pm," Darry added.

Eleven pm? How long have we been gone? Were we really gone for three hours? No wonder they are all mad, well Darry and Pony.

"What did you do to her?" Ponyboy sneered at Dally.
"Why does everyone think I'm still that bad person? I've changed! That nightmare changed me!" Dally exclaimed.

I wondered what the nightmare was about. Could something so simple, change a person's life? Could it make people see someone as a whole different person?

"What nightmare?" I questioned.
"Not the time, Claudia," Sodapop scolded.

It had to be something really bad for Soda to scold me. He never does. Not since I was born. I looked over at Ponyboy. Man, he sure seemed mad. Maybe he did care about me! Oh who am I kidding? I'm getting my hopes up too high. But the kiss, it made me think he does have some feeling towards me.

"What's going on?" Drew asked, walking in, obviously boozed up.
"We found Claudia and Dally," Johnny answered.
"Oh goodie," Drew's voice wavered.
"C'mon, let's go home," I said, grabbing his wrist.

I pulled Drew back over to our house and ran up to my room. I started sobbing and couldn't stop. The one person I like is mad at me and I can't do anything about it. I thought it was going so well when he kissed me, but I guess that meant nothing to him. Why am I so stupid to think he would want me, out of any girl. I'm lucky enough to be his best friend.

I woke up the next morning and it was a Monday. School was over but I have a summer job to help pay for he house Drew and I share. I got up and put on high waisted shorts and a blue patterned tank top. I straightened my hair and braided a piece back, bobby pinning it.

"Bye, Drew," I said on my way out.
"Bye!"

I arrived at the Dairy Queen, where I work. I grabbed a notebook and pen and headed over to one of my tables and got their order. The door opened, the chimes ringing, and in came Ponyboy with a girl from school. Dana. She was laughing and blushing while holding onto Pony's arm. I huffed as I headed over to them.

"Would you like a booth?" I asked, trying to smile but failing.
"Yes," Dana answered, grabbing pony and held onto him like a puppy.

I took them over to a seat in a corner and put down some menus on the table.

"You're Claudia, right?" Dana asked.

I nodded in response. It surprised me how love could make you hate someone so much, even though they were doing nothing wrong.

"You are really pretty! I'm surprised you aren't with Pony. I thought you guys were dating until I found out the other day that you are just really good friends," she blushed, feeling embarrassed.

I hated her guts instantly. She just had to be so sweet and caring. That's the type Ponyboy likes.

"Nice seeing you," I replied.

I walked away without even taking their order. I went out the door and slumped against a wall, crying. I heard the jingle of the doors opening and I could sense someone was next to me. I opened my eyes to see Ponyboy.

"Hey, I'm sorry about all that inside." Ponyboy mumbled.
"Why? Why her?" I asked, already knowing the answer.
"She asked me out, Clauds," he spit out. Okay, so that wasn't what I was expecting.
"I really like you. The kiss, I meant that. I like you, Claudia."