Chapter Five

"Let me go!" I screamed at Dally.

Ponyboy was being beat up awful bad. The Socs wouldn't stop. They kept throwing him against the car, kicking him and slugging him in the gut or face.

"He's going to die if we don't help!" I yelled.
"Just shut up, okay? You're hurt, I can't let you get near them. I'll go help Pony." Dally responded, putting me down and running over to Ponyboy.

I was bawling. I didn't want Ponyboy to get hurt, he didn't deserve it. I did, if anything. I kissed Dally and he probably saw it. But I couldn't think about that right now. I needed to keep my focus on Pony's and Dally's health. If one of them got seriously hurt, I would never forgive myself. I watched as Dally ran over and beat up the Socs. He got a couple bruises from some punches, but that was it. On the other hand, Pony looked like he was going to pass out, and he did on the way to the hospital.

**********

"Is he going to be okay?" I asked the nurse who was taking care of Ponyboy.
"From the looks of it, I'm pretty sure he will be. Just needs some rest." The nurse smiled at me.

I let out a sigh of relief. He's okay. He's gotta be. Life just wouldn't be the same without him. I didn't really know how much Ponyboy would affect my life until now. He was the one to make me smile whenever I was sad. He always knew if something wasn't right. He made me think outside the box. Ponyboy shaped my life into something great, and without him, I would be lost.

Dally walked in and comforted me. Pony was still unconscious.

"I should've got to him faster. He wouldn't be in the state that he is right now." Dally said, tears forming in his eyes. "I hate to see him like this."
"You did the best you could, Dally. Don't be so hard on yourself." I was surprised to see Dally crying because he never does. That nightmare sure must have been something.

I saw Ponyboy start to stir in bed. He was waking up. Dally and I both went over to him. Now that I was looking at him more closely, I could see how wounded he was. Five cuts on his face, a black eye, bruises lining up and down his arms. A gash from his shoulder to the middle of his chest. He wasn't in good shape at all. Was the nurse lying to me for my own sake?

"Hey, Ponyboy, how ya doing?" Dally asked.
"Without all the cuts and bruises on me? I'm alright I guess," Ponyboy grinned, "Claudia, did you get hurt?"
"Just a punch as I tried to help you. I got away in time after that. Dally saved you," I replied.
"Oh yeah, I remember now. Everything." Color seemed to drain from his face.
"How about I leave you two alone." Dally offered while getting up to leave.

After Dally left the room, Ponyboy sat up in his bed.

"Why did you kiss him?" He asked. "Do you still love me? Did you at all? I love you, Claudia. I've loved you since the day we met. Why would you do this to me?"
"Of course I love you. I-" I started to cry. Pony was staring at me like a wounded animal. "I don't know why Dally kissed me. I only want you."
"How do I know I can believe you?" Pony asked.
"I don't know. Ponyboy, you are my first love. I don't want to lose you." I responded.
"I don't want to lose you either." An extreme pain expression took over his face.
"What's wrong?" I asked, panicked. He didn't respond. He was unconscious.

I ran out into the hallway. "We need a doctor! Now!" I screamed.

I went back over to Ponyboy. "Everything's going to be okay. You're fine. You're okay."

A doctor ran in seconds later. He started checking his blood levels and pressures. "I'm afraid you are going to have to leave. He needs surgery." A few nurses came in and put him on a gurney.

"What's wrong? Is he going to be okay?" I asked.
"You need to go. Now." I felt some hands grab me and pull me out. Dallas.

"Is he going to die?" I asked him, starting to cry for what felt like the hundredth time today.
"I don't know, Clauds, I don't know." Dally embraced me in a big hug and kissed the top of my head. I don't know how he does it, but he always makes me feel better.

Dallas and I waited outside the surgery room for hours. I didn't want to leave Ponyboy. I wanted to be as close to him as I could. The doors finally opened and I rushed to Pony's side. Unconscious again.

"Mr. Curtis had some internal bleeding in his brain. Also, some stress made the blood flow faster to his brain and in which could've killed him earlier than we thought if it weren't for you, miss." The doctor said as he walked into the room.
"Is he going to recover?" Dally asked the doctor.
"He will make a full recovery. He is very weak, due to the lost of blood in his system. It will take him months for his body to replace that blood."
"I guess track season's over for this little guy." Dally quietly laughed and patted Ponyboy's limp arm.

We went down to the cafeteria and got some food. I didn't realize at first that I was starving. The 6 pm news was on the tiny TV in the corner of the room.

"Bombing destroyed a well known restaurant called 'The Dingo' on the corner of Pickett and Sutton. Three people were killed and many were injured."

"Great way to top off the night." I muttered. I looked back up again at the tv as the screen scrolled through pictures of the killed.

"The three people that were killed were, Abby Lancosky, Jacob Smith, and Drew Johnson."

What? I must've hear it wrong. I looked at the picture again, to only see a picture of my brother.