On the road again

Two hours.
That's how long Kate and I had been driving and my ass was sore from our journey. I should have suggested we took my car because Kate's small compact vehicle was not meant for long-distance journeys.
Even if I was short and petite, I had junk in my trunk and the seat was killing this cushioning.
"Are we there yet?" I asked her again after the hundredth time. Her eyes slowly narrowed as she looked at me with frustration.
"If you ask me that one more time, so help me, I will pull this car over."
Laughter erupted from my lips at her comment. She reminded me so much of my mother growing up when we went on trips. "I'm sorry. Why don't we pull off at the next exit and take a potty break and get coffee?"
The sound of coffee made Kate's eyes perk up, and a grin crossed her lips. "Deal, but this is the last stop, Ivy. We literally have two hours left and if you keep this up, we will never get there."
"Two hours?" I repeated with confusion. "He's that close?"
Opening and closing her mouth, she tilted her head and sighed, "not exactly."
"You know I hate it when you answer with that. It lets me know that shit's going to get more chaotic for me than just riding in your tiny ass car."
"Hey!" she snapped. "Don't you talk bad about Black Betty. This car is a machine and will out do yours any day of the week."
She was right. The damn car was a beautiful machine, but at the same time, it wasn't comfortable. "Pain before beauty."
"Damn straight, bitch," she grinned, pulling off on the exit way headed towards a small town with one gas station and a few small diners. There wasn't much here, but food and coffee sounded great.
"I want a last meal before I do." I teased her as she pulled into the gas station to fill up and turned to stare at me.
"Don't say shit like that... you're not dying, Ivy."
Perhaps I wasn't actually going to die... or at least I hoped that wouldn't be the case.
"Regardless, I need food." I smiled at her, watching as she rolled her eyes before getting out to pump gas.
Letting my eyes wander, I took in the area two hours from the pack and admired how lush and green it was. We were high in the countryside, and the size of the small town we were in showed just how secluded life really was here.
We had only just passed through the Canadian border, and from what Damian had said before, Talon was deep within the Canadian wilderness. His animalistic instincts kept him in the forests, and my clothing was not doing anything to control the cold that bit at me.
Furrowing my brow, I pulled myself from my thoughts as Kate got back in the car. My eyes lingered on a figure walking into the gas station I swore I recognized before.
"Kate... that man right there in the black coat with the white ball cap. Doesn't he look familiar?"
Her eyes followed mine as she squinted, taking him in. "I don't think so..."
"No, seriously. I'm telling you I have seen him somewhere."
Pulling out my phone, I waited until he exited the store, and I snapped a photo, sending it to James. My mind reeled over the idea I have seen that man before somewhere.
It only took a moment and James' number popped up on the car's Bluetooth.
"Hey, I take it you got the photo."
The sounds in the background let me know they were driving, and a smile crossed my lips, realizing they were indeed right behind us.
"Yeah, that's Bennett. A guy who works on your dad's security team. Where are you guys?"
Looking around, I searched for a sign before looking to Kate for an answer. However, all she did was shrug, unsure where we were.
"We passed the border a little while ago, but not sure of the name of the town. What would this guy be doing here?" I asked as an uneasy feeling grew within my stomach.
"I don't know. We are still an hour behind you, though." James said with hesitation. "Damian wants you to find a place there to lie low until we get there. We're not sure if maybe your dad is involved in this. After all, he wasn't happy about being replaced."
"We don't have time for that, James," I replied, trying to think of what to do. "It looks like he is going into the diner... maybe we can stall him just in case."
"Ivy." Damian finally said through the phone, sending chills down my spine as I smiled.
"Hello, cupcake. How's the drive?"
     Kate stifled her laughter as she took a sip of her water.
"It could have been better, but instead we are chasing after you, as always."
"Well, that's always exciting, isn't it?" I grinned, watching Bennet sit down at a table with a woman I didn't recognize.
"You're not going to listen to me, are you?" Damian finally groaned as Kate and I began to laugh.
"Nope... probably not. Talk later, though." I said, hanging up the phone. What the hell was this guy doing here and why do I feel like he is up to no good?
  "What are we doing?" Kate finally asked, pulling my attention towards her.
"I don't know," I replied, shrugging my shoulders. "I mean he could just be like on a date, but it feels too coincidental for my liking. What would you do?"
"Well, I mean probably slash his tires," she said after a moment of silence. "It would make sure they can't follow you right away or something."
With wide eyes, I turned to her, "I have never slashed someone's tires before."
"Well, you don't want to do it unless you're sure, usually. Otherwise, it could be just a dick move...."
Kate's words trailed off, and through it all, the only thing I focused on was I had never slashed someone's tires before... and it sounded kind of fun.
"I'm going to do it," I finally said. "I'm going to slash his tires."
  "Seriously.." Kate said flatly. "You're going to do it?"
Looking at her with a wide mischievous grin, I shrugged my shoulders, "fuck it. Why not?"
Kate's eyes lit up with excitement as a grin spread across her face. "Who are you and what did you do with safe Ivy?"
"Who said I was safe?" I replied with confidence. "Sometimes a girl has to get dirty in order to protect her assets."
"You mean the four sex god men that currently like to ravage you? Your Impaler's delight?"
Staring at her dumbfounded, I laughed. "Are you going to sit there all day trying to think of things to call them or move towards that car before the guy decides to leave?"
"Good point," I replied.
Kate quickly pulled from the gas station towards the diner. As soon as she got close, I jumped out of the car and stabbed the two back tires with the knife, watching as they quickly deflated. The sounds of Bennett running from the diner and yelling at me were amusing, and as I jumped back into Kate's car, she stepped on the gas and took us back onto the highway.
I wasn't sure if the guy was actually following us, but at the same time, I wasn't going to risk it. Why else would my father's security guy be this close to where Talon was, and so convenient when we were on our way there? Better not to take any chances. Something about it didn't seem right, and I wasn't about to allow anyone to hurt Talon or anyone I loved.
Sometimes a girls gotta do what a girls gotta do.
~~~~~~
Just as she said, two hours later, we pulled up outside of a forest somewhere in the northern part of Canada. I wasn't sure why I would have expected it to be warm. It was later in the year and there was more snow on the ground here than I had seen back in Idaho.
"Kate, why do you think Bennett was in that town?" I finally asked, breaking the silence between us.
Shaking her head, she looked at me and shrugged. "I don't know. I have been wondering the same thing."
"It's making me wonder if my father and Allison had something to do with all of this. I mean, I don't see why Allison would, but at the same time, I could understand my father wanting to get rid of them."
"Honestly, Ivy, I never liked Allison. I met her years ago at a nationwide pack event and even then she flaunted herself as if she was the most important person in the room. I wouldn't put it past her having a hand in this." Kate replied with a sigh. The statement was one I didn't want to hear.
As much as I wanted to give Allison the benefit of the doubt, there was a chance I couldn't. There was a chance that she was trying to kill Talon, and who knows if the guys were targeted next?
Opening the door, I stepped out into the cold Canadian air and froze in my tracks.
"Jesus Christ, it's fucking cold," I complained as Kate and I stepped out of the car.
"Yeah, it's a bit cold," she retorted, grabbing a bag full of gear from the trunk as I slid on my backpack.
"A bit?" I exclaimed. "It's more than a bit cold, Kate. I'm freezing my ass off."
Laughter escaped her as she closed the trunk and walked towards where I was standing. "The best thing about being a shifter... we run hotter than normal. So yeah, it is cold, but it isn't that bad."
Rolling my eyes, I turned towards the forest and contemplated what we were about to do. This was by far the most dangerous thing I had ever done, but at the same time, it was for a good purpose. This would bring Talon home, and help to complete our circle.
A circle that should have been completed so long ago.
"No matter what happens, Kate... if Talon charges don't interfere." I muttered, watching as her gaze met mine, and shock filled her.
"You can't ask me to do that, Ivy. You're human and can't take him. He could try to kill you."
"He won't, Kate-" I replied before she stopped in her tracks and shook her head.
"But he could!" she exclaimed. "Please don't ask me to do that."
Giving her a pointed look, she slowly caved and nodded her head, biting her bottom lip. Silence fell between us as the sound of snow crunching beneath our boots echoed through the trees. There was no telling what was going to happen, but one thing I knew for sure was I would succeed.
I had to succeed for Talon.