Chapter 4: Breaking through (Merellda's perspective)

The next three days were a blur. The first day we spent planning. We all knew that "Princess Abigail" would be Sofinne. But still, Mother insisted we compete for the spot. I half thought it was all for her entertainment.

The first test? Manipulation. My least favourite. Sofinne constantly showboated her skills, encouraged by Mother's praise. It was obvious Sofinne was Mother's favourite. But maybe, if I could prove myself on the mission, that would change. Maybe Mother would finally treat me and Sofinne as equals. Maybe she'd finally love me. But if I knew anything about Mother, it was that I'd need to work if I wanted to earn her trust. So when we walked back through those imposing double doors, I was determined. I would do whatever it took.

When I walked in, Sofinne was already there, waiting impatiently. So was Mother, a sinister glint in her eyes. To my surprise, so was Elliana. For some reason, her presence always made me feel relaxed. Today, she wore a loose sky-blue/white stripy summer dress with pockets instead of her jeans and raggedy apron from the day before, and her roasted-coffee-bean-coloured hair was tied up into a ponytail. For some reason, she had black streaks all over her hands and face.

"Were you changing the firewood?" I asked incredulously.

Elliana nodded sheepishly. That's when I noticed other things, like hay in her hair and flour on her dress. She saw me looking, and her caramel skin flushed pink.

"I've been helping out around the house. It feels a little lonely and boring just sitting around doing nothing."

Mother scoffed. I was surprised; she usually wore a polite and impersonal demeanour, like a true lady. As expected, Sofinne followed suit.

"Cinderella," she said, smirking.

Elliana looked mortified. I couldn't help but sympathise. It really stung when Sofinne, who was so cheerful and friendly, insulted you, like you were the only person who she didn't like. But I was a little stunned by what Sofinne had said. Yes, she tended to agree with Mother, but she usually didn't fire bullets like that, and I had thought Elliana and Sofinne would get along well. I was almost glad though. Maybe, if Elliana didn't like Sofinne, she would like me instead. But as soon as I had the thought, I was horrified.

"Sofinne, you will go first. Follow me," Mother said, a gleam of anticipation in her eyes.

"Yes, Mother," Sofinne said, skipping after her as they left the room.

The seconds quickly stretched into minutes. I stared at the clock, agonized by the ticking of the clock.

Tick, soon you'll fail.

Tick, soon Sofinne will be crowned as Princess Abigail.

Tick, soon you'll be the servant.

Tick, Mother will never love you.

I was close to leaving the room altogether when Sofinne burst into the room, her smile shining. Mother didn't say a word, just beckoned me forth, but I could tell she was pleased with whatever Sofinne had done. I followed Mother, dread consuming me. But I concentrated on the clicking of Mother's heels and the soft plopping of my slippers padding behind her.

Soon, we reached a door. It was nothing fancy, just a wood door painted white. I had barely noticed it before, assuming it was the servant quarters, but I was amazed when we walked in. It didn't show off glitz and riches like most of the rooms in our house. Instead, it was simple but elegant, a clean combination of wood and off-white. It highlighted tropical flowers, exotic fruits, succulents, and ferns, held in hanging macrame and quartz pots. Okay, so maybe it was a little fancy, but it felt like a magic place, almost like the outside.

I shivered. Mother had warned us of the dangers of outside, but I knew Sofinne desperately wanted to see it. That's why I was hopeful that, when we went on our mission, Sofinne would lose her craving for life in the outside world, and finally be happy with me and Mother. Sofinne had argued that the servants had come from the outside world, so why couldn't she, but most of the servants had been here for years. That meant it had been long since they had seen it. And wasn't there a reason they had left in the first place? Why would they close themselves off from it if it were as great as Sofinne believed?

Suddenly, the door jarringly slammed shut behind us, and Mother snapped loudly. Someone who looked vaguely familiar stepped toward us.

"Now, we will begin," Mother said.

"Convince this servant that he is in love with this potted plant."

Mother pulled out a cactus in a terra cotta pot. I bit my lip. This didn't feel right. But I turned toward the servant. He didn't even flinch. I closed my eyes and concentrated, picturing the ideal result. Sweat beaded on my forehead.

And then, without warning, I felt like I was submerged deep in the water. Like usual, I felt air bubbling out of my nose and away, into the deep. Pressure squeezing me. I desperately swam toward the surface. Toward air. Toward the sun. Toward the blue sky. But then... "Over here! Merellda! Here!"

The sound was coming from down, into the inky blackness of the deep. What should I do? I thought for a second. But I didn't have much time; my lungs were starting to throb from lack of oxygen. What would Sofinne do? I paused. Sofinne was an expert at magic, so if I did what she would do, maybe... but I had to be fast. Sofinne would follow her instincts, act impulsively. So I followed the voice. I ignored all my common sense, everything I had learnt about sirens and dangerous voices, and swam down. Before long, I could feel something pulling me down. The further I swam, the stronger it became, until it was too powerful for me to resist it. I let it pull me down, let myself go. Everything was blurry, but I could've sworn I saw someone there, smiling at me before everything went dark.

But as soon as my eyes closed, I was back in the room. With Mother and the servant staring at me. I felt like a total idiot.

Until the rarest thing happened. Mother's lips curved up. Into a smile.

"I knew it wouldn't be long before you broke through."

And she was beaming. At me. She was proud.

"But...I, well..." I gestured at the servant helplessly.

Mother smiled. "Soon, Merellda. Soon."

And suddenly, that smile on her face made me feel a little nervous. But I ignored it. I was supposed to be happy, right?