Chapter 8: Follow the Rocky Dirt Road (Sofinne's perspective)

I fought the urge to stick my head out of the window like a dog. Mother had insisted that, even in the carriage and away from prying eyes, I act like a proper lady. Which was getting harder each second.

Would we catch a glimpse of the raging offspring of a giant and an ogre?

Witness a battle of feral trolls?

See the flash of a werewolf's eyes as they race through the trees?

I sighed. Perhaps not. But maybe, when we got to the castle, yes. I watched the scenic landscape slip away before my eyes.

Trees.

Grass.

Family of jackalopes.

More trees.

Wait, family of jackalopes?

I cooed at the fluffy little rabbits. One cooed back. I couldn't help but laugh. And then even they were gone.

Suddenly, the driver turned back.

"Ma'am, it is time."

He meant time to switch. Time to be Abigail.

I pulled out a hand-mirror and photo Mother had given me. In the photo was a pretty girl with dark skin, shiny jet-black hair, and almost goldish amber eyes. Mother had told me that I needed to match the girl in the photo with the girl in the mirror.

Me.

Even the tiniest details matter, she had said.

So, after the important things, I splashed the faintest cluster of brown freckles on my nose, made my eyelashes just the slightest bit bolder, and shrank my ears down by a few millimetres. I had to spend time for the sharp, fairy-like edges on her face, but soon, I looked almost identical to Abigail.

I wondered how Merellda looked. I knew she must look like me, considering the fact that Abigail and Audrey were twins. But Merellda's magic tended to... shy away from expectations.

Usually in unspeakably horrible ways, like the goblin incident.

But it was only a simple glamour, just like putting on a cloak. What could possibly go wrong?

But as we neared the Caelfall Castle, in all its grandeur, it was easy to forget about Merellda.

The moat was the first and closest thing to us. It was easy to imagine a sea serpent lurking in the depths of it, coming up only to snap up unsuspecting prey in one bite, a girl venturing too close to the murky water and slipping on the slick bridge, nobody around to see her thrashing and flailing in the icy water, beautiful but deadly sirens luring people to their deaths by singing their songs in a voice prettier than gold lyres and fairies laughing. I shuddered and vowed to stay away from the moat by any means.

But the castle was as majestic as the moat petrifying. Even the surroundings of the castle were intriguing in a way that, usually, only magic could be.

Pathways snaked through the dense wood behind the house, mystifying but inviting.

Complex birdsongs rang through the air, some mournfully beautiful, some jaunty and catchy.

Hybrid fruits thoughtfully cultivated to amaze, flowers that ranged from classic red roses to seafoam-coloured mushrooms that gave off a soft glow.

I wondered if this was how the "oh so humble and great Cinderella" felt when she first saw our mansion. At the thought of Cinderella, I got a sour taste in my mouth. At least she was all alone, toiling away in the mansion. I was a little shocked at that thought. But a little part of me was satisfied and craved more. Maybe it was time for sweet-but-annoying baby-sister Sofinne to leave.

And the new, better Sofinne to take her place. Sofinne who was destined for glory and fame, even if it meant pushing away the past.

After all, it was necessary to let go of the past to move on to the future.