Chapter 9: Magic Mahem (Elliana's perspective)

We scanned the books, row after row.

It didn't take long for the words to blur and slip out of my brain like a bar of soap in one's hands.

I slumped down onto the ground and buried my face in my hands.

"Doesn't anyone organise this place?"

Mira frowned.

"Maybe they do..."

She looked lost in thought.

At last, she looked up at me again.

"There's a system, I'm quite sure. I think you have to find the genre of book and the section in which it belongs."

Mira pointed to the wall.

"There!"

She pointed to what I had assumed to be a tapestry, but on second glance, it turned out to be a kind of poster.

Weather- 15°N, 30°E

Historical geological events- 16°N, 30°E

Natural disasters...

I stopped reading then. Coordinates? What, was there some secret map of this place hidden somewhere?

"I think these are coordinates," I said aloud.

Silence.

"Mira?"

I turned over to her. She was looking down, at the ground. I followed her gaze.

"Wha... wow."

I was instantly mesmerised by the intricate patterns, lines and dots carefully painted onto the ground with immense patience and love.

Mira blinked, like she just remembered my existence. She gestured to the ground.

"The answer," she began slowly. "I... I think we found it."

I nodded.

"Let's get to work."

First, we figured out which way was which direction. Then we just followed the poster. I had to admit, it was pretty fun.

Almost too soon, Mira and I found the book, ending our wild goose chase.

It was dusty and faded, but I could tell that it was well-worn by the tea rings, dog ears, and creases in the spine. I walked to the table and sank into a cushiony chair, Mira right behind me. I placed the book on the table to inspect the cover, but it was solid red except for the gold title:  A Beginner's Guide to Magic, Monsters, and Mayhem. I opened the book and flipped to the table of contents. I drank in the foreign words and intriguing phrases, but then I reached what must be what we were looking for.

-Faeren exchange..............................................Pg 108

I flipped to page one-hundred eight eagerly. As I read, Mira peeked over my shoulder, muttering the text under her breath.

Faeren Exchange

An easy trade between two faeries, but the same cannot be said for humans. The exchange requires two objects, direct or not, of equal value, which is where things get tricky for those lacking magic. You see, most faeren objects are of magic, even small daily necessities. Toothbrushes are enchanted to ensure all grime and plaque is removed from teeth, soap gives hands a soft, baby-like quality, even stoves have simple charms to stop cooking just before food starts burning. The point is, most, if not all, faeren objects are enchanted, even if it's just a simple spell for lasting longer. And, although we are not sure of which variety, magic may be the most valuable thing in this world. Exchanges can be favours for promises, vice versa, or of solid objects, although most solid objects can be just a normal trade and may prove a magical bargain unnecessary. The most common magical exchange between human and faery is the simple trade of an object from the human for a spell from the faery. In this case, the human is usually the one asking for the trade, asking for a wish in exchange for gold coins or a rare flower. That then gives the faery the choice of agreeing or eating the human as a midnight snack. Hopefully, for the human's sake, the former. However, faeries may be questioning of the causes the wish would go toward or irritable that a "puny non-faery" would ask them of a favour. Too many wishes have been wasted on greed and evil for a faery to place their full trust in a human. Before you go skipping through the sunny daisy meadows and into the dark forest to promise a faery your firstborn daughter, consider if your cause is important enough to venture to the cliff ledge to pick the last flower of the maiden death, or face an angry dragon-born faery, or sacrifice your little brother to a wild centaur herd. And if it is, I wish you luck. You'll need it.

You'll need:

- An extremely rare or valuable object

- A smaller offering—not too small or measly though

- Self-defense equipment

Set off on your journey to the faery's home or habitat. Once you find the right place, make sure you are as polite as possible. Refer to the faery as "your majesty," and never argue or do anything that labels you as more superior. Perhaps you do, maybe innocently pointing out that you tower over the faery. Then you will surely be burnt to a crisp or ripped apart by shadow demons. Carefully strike a deal. Do not claim your gift to be better than the faery's. Sugar-coat your words, butter up the faery. But never lie to a faery. Do not say your copper coin can reproduce itself by the thousands or the stack of hay can turn to straws of gold when spun. If your wish really is pure enough to become a reality, you would have the will to find a truly worthy treasure. Any word could lead to death, any face expression could lead to pain and a lifetime of slavery. Brave explorer, choose carefully; stakes are high. If the faery agrees to the deal, be careful. Faeries can be cunning, as can humans. Do not try to abandon your end of the deal though. There are dire consequences. As the faery forms the bond, phrase your words carefully. And if the faery tries to phrase their words in a way that allows trickery on their part, leave. It isn't worth it. On the rare occasion that everything goes as planned, you'll see a glowing ring of bronze on your pinky. The bond has formed, and there is no going back. Give the faery what you owe, and the faery will give you what they owe. Now it is done. You have made it through, congratulations. You have done what hundreds, no, thousands, of people have tried, and failed.

I looked up at Mira, pale.

"What does it say?" She asked.

I shook my head.

"We have to find another way."