Chapter 14: The Ball (Elliana's perspective)

Finally, we arrived at the castle. Yes, I had been exposed to magic on certain occasions, but I just couldn't get over how... magical this place was. The coachman led me to the door.

"Milady, this was dropped off for you."

He held something out. I gently took it out of his hands. A mask.

"What for?" I asked.

"The ball. The masquerade ball."

I nodded, but I was confused. This was a masquerade? The coachman opened the door, gesturing for me to go in. I stepped in, marveling at the castle. It took a whole minute to realised that all the chattering had ceased, everyone turning to stare at me. I blushed profusely, wishing I could melt into the ground. Even the music halted. Then it was just awkward, everyone silently staring at me. Was it really this awful to be late? But how about that saying? Like, fashionably late? Isn't that still a thing? I waved. Someone waved back.

Suddenly, footsteps echoed as a man walked onto the loft.

"What is going on?" He asked. "Dance! You didn't come to the ball to stare at pretty dresses, did you?" He laughed joyously.

Soon, everyone started dancing again, albeit a little uncertainly. I stepped onto the dance floor. Soon, I was dancing like a pro. But then others started staring at me again. Maybe I should find a partner, be a little less noticeable. As if reading my mind, a boy who looked a little bit older than me stepped over.

"Care to dance?"

I nodded. All too soon, the song was over. I thanked the boy and went to the snack table. To be honest, it was more like a feast table, about five times longer than the dinner table at home and filled with so much food that there wasn't any room left over. It was a feast for an army! I wondered who would eat the leftovers. It would be a waste of perfectly good food if it were just thrown out. Eventually, I settled on a cup of rainbow fruit punch, curious about the flavour. I was amazed when I discovered that each layer had a different taste. I ended up trying five distinct kinds of skewers as well as various fruits that I hadn't even known had existed.

Suddenly, the boy from before approached me.

"Abigail, I know that you were upset about what happened before, but I understand now, and I —"

"Hey, I think you got the wrong person," I interrupted.

He shook his head.

"Abigail, you don't need to do this."

I laughed nervously. But wait... was Abigail some secret alias to use while I was concealed with the fairy's magic? It seemed like something he would do. So I went along with it.

I sighed, as if he'd caught me.

"I know. It's just that..."

"What?" He asked

"I don't know. But would you like another dance?"

He smiled.

"Of course."

Just after the fifth song, my feet started to ache, so I sat down in a plush chair. I looked at the clock, assuming it was around ten-thirty. But the short hand was almost to the twelve, signalling—I paled.

Midnight.

"Abigail, I—"

I didn't wait for him to finish. There was no time to waste. I ran down the stairs, barely noticing when one of the slippers was left behind on the stairs. I jumped into the coach.

"Where to?" The coachman asked.

"Back to Remington House."

He nodded, and we were off, even faster than before. I focused on the pattering of the rain, the clomping of the horses' hooves. Soon, despite my adrenaline, I found myself drifting off to sleep.

Mira... we're on our way.

***

Elliana.

Elliana.

"ELLIANA!"

I jerked awake. Mira looked confused.

"Why did you come back?" She asked.

"We still have a chance," I replied without blinking.

Mira looked uncertain.

"We do!" I insisted.

Mira huffed.

"Fine. But we have to be quick."

She turned back to the house.

"WE'RE LEAVING!" She yelled.

Servants came spilling out. Some were in her family, but most weren't.

"How will we fit this many people into the coach?" I asked.

"It's magic," said a familiar voice. "There's no need to worry."

I swiveled around.

"Fairy!" I cried in joy.

He smiled. But then the grim seriousness returned to his face.

"We have to go."

I nodded.

"Everyone in."

***

By the time we made it to the village, it was already morning. I hurried into the shop.

"Father! It's me, Elliana! FATHER!"

I heard footsteps running toward me.

"Elliana!"

And then it was just me and Father, Father and me, in a big hug. Tears flew everywhere. Joy was in the air.

Suddenly, Father stepped back and looked me straight in the eyes. I could tell he was about to say something important. But little more than three words came out of his mouth.

"I'm sorry Ella. I'm sorry."

Then he grabbed a mirror, and stranger yet, he spoke into it.

"Yes, she's here. I'll restrain her."

I flinched at the words.

"Father? What's going on? Father!"

He ignored me and grabbed a rope.

Oh no.

And wrapped it around my arms and legs. Then he tied a dish cloth around my mouth, muffling my protests.

"I'm sorry," he said quietly, and left me alone in the room.

***

It had been hours. Maybe even longer.

Suddenly, the door burst open.

I didn't know who I was expecting. Lady Remington? Mira? Father?

But it was none of those people.

The person I had danced with, the one that had called me Abigail. He was Prince Demetrius. And he was here. He stepped over to me. And held out a glass slipper. From last night.

I squirmed around, showing that I couldn't move or talk. He quickly cut through the binds with a pocketknife and handed the slipper to me.

"Put it on," he said softly.

And it was silly, such a ridiculous request—but I did. And it fit perfectly, just like last night.

Servants I didn't even notice were in the room gasped. The prince's coachman, footmen, even his bodyguard gasped. But the prince didn't look the slightest bit surprised. His expression looked as if it were saying: what have I gotten myself into? But he looked happy. He nodded. And turned to our audience.

"This is our new princess of Caelfall!"

Everyone cheered. Except me. I felt numb as I was led to his carriage, numb as we rode back to the Caelfall castle.

But I knew, someday, somehow, I would escape back to the Remingtons to find Mira again and rescue all the servants. One day, I'd escape.