Chapter 13: Bibbidy Bobbidy Boo (Elliana's perspective)

"I didn't expect you to be—"

"This handsome and charming?" He interrupted.

"Yeah, I get that a lot," he continued, then grinned.

I fought the urge to roll my eyes. That would be claiming I'm superior, right?

"So, did you come here for the sweet scent of sugar?" I asked.

Again, he laughed.

"I was attracted to the scent of a kindly maiden's desperate dreams."

As if proving his point, he sniffed the air.

"So the pumpkin pie."

He smiled.

"Ahhh, someone's not so gullible."

He nodded, as if he were my master, and I had just passed his final test.

"Well, I suggest you come into the kitchen if you wish to enjoy Mira's hospitality," I said, leading him into the kitchen.

We walked in to find Mira slicing the pie. She smiled sweetly, giving us each a slice and a cup of steaming spice tea. Grateful that Mira had thought ahead, I took them both. I handed one to the fairy, who had already helped himself to a seat at the kitchen table. Without a single please or thank you, he dug in, not even waiting for a fork. After exactly ten seconds, he polished off both his and my slice of pie, not to mention the tea.

"Enough for seconds?" He asked, belching.

Mira cringed and handed over the whole pie. He eyed it hungrily, licking his lips as he inspected the pie. Then, just a splatter of goo, and, poof, gone. I had really been beginning to doubt his powers, but he could make a whole pie disappear like it was nothing. But could he take us out of the house?

I cleared my throat.

"Now can you do, you know, the magic thing?"

I made a vague swirly magic gesture in an effort to explain.

He raised an eyebrow and held out his hand expectantly.

Oh. The payment. I bit my lip nervously.

"Yes, well, I'll pay in memories," I said apprehensively.

He nodded grimly, all humour from before gone.

"Are you ready?"

I furrowed my brow.

"What memories are you going to take? And I thought there's supposed to be a bond thing."

"A bond is formal. I'm assuming that you want to get this done quickly. As for the memories, I'll be taking the memories of your mother."

I almost warned him how the memories were already so sparse. But I didn't want to give away any others. He held out his hands and grabbed onto mine. I fought the urge to pull away, instead complying. I had to do as he said. I watched as he closed his violet eyes, lowering his head so his quartz-white hair fell over his face and elfish ears. A mere second later, he opened them.

"Done," he whispered, his voice raw.

"Thank you."

I pointed down the hall.

"Mira could make you some hot ginger-honey water to soothe your throat," I offered.

Smiling a little, he nodded, allowing me to, once again, lead the way. I paused, a new thought occurring to me.

"I don't think it worked," I said, frowning.

He shook his head.

"It did."

We continued walking in silence until we reached the kitchen. However, when we got there, Mira was nowhere to be seen.

"Mira? MIRA!" I called.

"Over here!" I heard a faint voice say.

I followed the voice to the garden. I gaped. A coach, brilliant orange and gilded with gold, gleamed in the almost-sunset. Six magnificent horses, ranging from a soft dappled moonlight grey to a warm brown like autumn leaves, were reined to the coach, ready to go. A coachman with a jiggly belly and long black beard whistled a merry tune. And six footmen stood clumped together, standing with spines straight and proud.

"These were the..." I was at a loss for words.

The fairy half-smiled and nodded. Then Mira came over and wrapped him in a tight hug.

"Thank you, thank you, thank you!" She said joyfully. Her eyes were shining with tears.

"My family's on the way."

The fairy nodded.

"One last thing," he paused. "You can't go to a ball in that." He gestured to my raggedy and stained apron. Immediately, magic began spreading over it, and he slumped to the ground.

"What ball?" I asked. "Fairy. Fairy!"

I shook his shoulder. But it was no use. He was out cold. Mira opened her mouth. Considered what she was about to say. Then spoke.

"I'll stay behind and tend to him. Y-y-you go."

I shook my head.

"Mira... I couldn't ask you do that."

But Mira's face wasn't tear stained and devastated. I could see the fire in her eyes, the determination written all over her face.

"Then it's a good thing you don't need to."

I nodded. Then I almost tripped over my own feet. I looked down. My shoes were gone, and in their place were a pair of delicate glass slippers. Mira's mouth was wide open.

"Crystal slippers," she said in awe.

"No. Even better. Star glass, crafted by the fairies."

I managed to stumble over to the coach. Just before I stepped in, I took a look in the koi pond. A magnificent dress of clouds and starlight and pixie's dust floated around me, a far cry from my dirty apron. My hair was in a beautiful bun that was held together with a braid and a crystal chain dangled from my neck. But then I noticed a little piece of something white in my hair. I reached up and pulled it out. When I brought it back down, a piece of paper rested in my daintily gloved hand. In messy handwriting, there was a single word—or number, I should say—jotted down.

12:00

Okay, come back at midnight. I could go to the ball, come back and pick up Mira's family, then we could ride away into the sunrise. I wanted to take them now, but I had a feeling it didn't quite work like that.

"Mira?" I asked softly.

"Yes?"

"I... never mind. Goodb—"

Mira wrapped me in a hug, cutting me off. Her tears shone in the moonlight. Then she let go and stepped back.

"Goodbye, Elliana. Goodbye."

Then I was in the coach, riding away into the night.