Chapter 2

The room was small, containing a bed that seemed to cost them ten dollars if the complete lack of comfort was any clue, a desk, and a tiny closet. Sleeping in here seemed to be impossible and eventually the only way you got any last night was you just became too exhausted to stay awake. Your captors had forced you to stay awake by dumping freezing water on you, slapping you around or anything else that seemed fit. A horrid way to torture someone.

You had only got about five hours of sleep before you were being woke up, the haze of your sleep making it unclear who was speaking to you. As soon as you came to, you realized it was a woman who you had seen very few times throughout the years of your dad working with her.

Laswell.

"Mornin', we got you some clothes," she spoke to you, sitting on the edge of your bed.

"Thanks..." you mumbled groggily, sitting up and stretching your body, yawning loudly.

"No problem. Get dressed then I'll lead you down to the dining hall." She stood, tossing a bunch of bags onto the bed then walking out the bedroom door. "I'll be outside waiting."

You watched her close the door then stood, your legs almost giving out from exhaustion. The clock on your side table read 6:03 AM. A huff escaped you as you began ruffling through the bags, noticing it was mostly workout stuff, shorts and shirts, a few cute things were picked out as well, but you were really going to miss having your own wardrobe.

You grabbed some underwear that were in the bag, slipped them on then picked out some shorts, a sports bra and a crop top. Laswell wasn't great at fashion, but the outfit almost looked like something you would wear outside of here. She was trying to make you feel comfortable. In another bag there laid some socks and a new pair of converse. How sweet. They were a little big but she got almost all the sizing correct.

In yet another bag, there laid some basic necessities, reaching in you grabbed a brush and tried to sort out your hair as best as you could before deeming yourself presentable and opening the bedroom door. Laswell guided you down the hall and after more winding paths you walked into the small cafeteria. If you could even call it that. It resembled a highschool one, maybe slightly more depressing. Which said a lot.

Eyes followed you around the room, people who you guessed were new recruits, staring you down. At the table in the corner sat the four men who rescued you yesterday. You gave them a mischievous smile and a little wave before walking over to the kitchen part of the room. The options for food weren't very appealing, but you were so hungry that it really didn't matter. Choosing the most appetizing looking one, you grabbed your tray and loaded it up.

"You can eat in the dining room or you can eat in your room. I wouldn't blame you if you didn't want to eat with any of them. Men are slobs," she laughed, shooting you a small grin. You gave her a small chuckle, it dying off quickly.

"As much as I don't want to eat around them, I think some social interaction might be good for me." You sighed, looking out through the window of the kitchen and catching the group of soldiers glancing at you. "Even if it means having to interact with those four."

She followed your eyes over to them, staring back at them to which they quickly averted their eyes away.

"Some of the best soldiers out there but at the end of the day, they're just the same ole men you see out on the street. Don't pay them any mind. They haven't been too much trouble for you, have they?" She asked, brow furrowing.

You thought back to Ghost slamming you against the wall, then the bathroom incident, forcing your lips to not turn upwards. Shaking your head, you finally looked back at the woman.