Chapter 6

It was so quiet in the room you could hear both of you breathing, your chest was rising and falling a bit faster than your father's, anxiety picking its way through your mind. John was waiting for your answer, patiently sitting there with his hands folded on his desk, staring at you knowingly.

"I-" you started, mouth suddenly cotton dry, "How did you know?"

"I have eyes everywhere around her, kid. Once word gets out, it spreads like a wildfire," he replied, letting out a sigh as he leaned back in his chair. "Look, I'm just going to say this straight up. You don't know those men, you've been here less than a week. I do know them, though, and I know that all of them are incapable of romance. Their job matters to them more than a girl, they're married to it and they're not cheaters."

A sudden anger welled up in you. Your father speaking on behalf of them was infuriating.

"How do you know? You train them to be machines, nothing but a weapon that's at your disposal. I'm sure you guys don't speak about your little crushes and all that, so how would you know what they feel if you don't speak about it?" Your eyes narrowed at the man, crossing your arms and also leaning back.

"I'm only telling you this so you don't get hurt. Expecting anything more than sexual favors from them isn't going to end well, your heart will get broken. They're not here to return home on holidays and sit with family, hell, most of them don't even have that option. Those men are here to die for their people if need be."

"Maybe they don't want to. Maybe they're waiting for the right person to come along, I don't know! But they're human and have emotions, too. You can't just expect them to never feel anything and just be perfect little soldiers," you shook your head, rolling your eyes.

"You're right, however, you are not that person."

The words stung more than you should've let them, but here they were, wrapping tendrils around your brain and webbing their hateful way through the emotional parts of it. Though it was logical your father was just saying that, not because he thought you weren't worthy but because he didn't want you with them, it still made you succumb to the afterthought that these men really didn't want you.

It made sense. Ghost hated you when you arrived, maybe he still does and just wants something warm to fuck every day. He didn't actually like you, he was just horny and you were the first female in sight. König didn't despise you, but that doesn't mean he liked you either. Men would do anything to get some action, both of them took different approaches to it is all.

"Y-You don't know that," you replied shakily, turning your head to the side so your father couldn't see your eyes watering.

"Even if it was possible that they liked you, they still wouldn't be with you. This isn't some fairytale where you get to live happily ever after. Do you really want to sit at home everyday waiting to see if your husband arrives or was killed on the job?"

"Mom and you did it."

Price let out an exasperated sigh, clearly frustrated that his talk wasn't getting through to his daughter.

"You're right, but it wasn't fun. You were so young when all of this went on, you don't remember your mom staying up worried sick because it was hours past the time I was supposed to arrive home. It was a mistake to get married, but I also wouldn't change it for the world," he tried to push forward and hold your hand but you were having none of it, so he went back to speaking. "I'm trying to prevent you from making the same choices we did. She basically had to raise you alone and that's not how parents should be. I want the best for you."

"It doesn't seem like it! What if they decide to quit and move in with me like a family? What then?"

"Jesus Christ, would you listen to me? This isn't a job you quit, this shit is baggage that comes along with you for as long as we live! They put their loved ones in danger, their own lives, they work for the country. Not only that, but they carry PTSD, the chances of getting you or their children killed and so much more!"