Chapter 10

Prompt: pressing your foreheads together after a kiss

                            __________________________________________________

"Did you have a good time?"

Next to Mavis, Ericka gave a hearty laugh. "Mavis, I've got a smile that's making my face ache and you're asking me if I had a good time? Of course I did!"

Mavis joined in the laughter. "All right, just making sure." She peered at the woman with a kind smile. "I really love the new dress you got."

Ericka blushed, and subconsciously smoothed out the flaring hems of her attire. It was a pretty cream color, made of a soft cotton that hugged her curves beautifully, with delicate floral patterns embroidered into it that resembled that of her favorite blossom - the sunflower. To the woman's surprise, it actually suited her quite well. She hadn't expected for any dresses to be a part of the collection of clothing she and Mavis had acquired on their shopping trip, her taste more geared towards simple blazer sets. But she liked the change. It made her feel more feminine somehow, and she didn't mind admitting she enjoyed the feeling.

Next to her, the vampire girl also looked good in her brand-new dress as well. It was a lacy black, sleeveless affair that hugged her torso delicately, the hems ending mid-calf and the fabric flowing around her form nicely.

"Gotta say I really like yours, too, Mavis," Ericka admitted. Then she laughed. "I don't think dark colors look so good on me."

Mavis however disagreed. "Well, I thought that one at the store did," she said, remembering. It had looked just like the one that she was wearing now, except it was black with red roses instead of sunflowers. She eyed the woman. "I could've gotten it for you."

Ericka immediately shook her head. "Oh, no, no, you couldn't have," she said in disagreement. "It's bad enough you bought me all of this!" She lifted up all the shopping bags of various colors and sizes in her hands and shook them for emphasis. "I thought Drac was the only one who spoiled around here."

Mavis wasn't so concerned, blowing a raspberry. "Ah, don't worry about it, Ericka. Don't you think you should have some presents for your birthday?"

Ericka only shrugged. "Eh, it's no big deal." Her birthday was just another day. That's what her great-grandfather had told her, at least, when she was growing up on The Legacy.

But Mavis once again disagreed, looking at her with a sly smile as they got to the front revolving doors of the hotel. "I wouldn't be so sure..."

As soon as the two stepped in, a massive cry of "SURPRISE!!!" nearly swept them both back. Because gathered there in the lobby, donned in party hats, blowing on favors, twirling noise makers, and slinging confetti in the air, were all of their friends and family.

Ericka gasped, indeed surprised, and shot a look at Mavis, who wore an expression of knowing. Before she could ask the girl if she had known about it, Dracula swept in, giving her a big hug.

"Surprise, my sweet little rabid cake!" he exclaimed, nuzzling her. "You are surprised, aren't you?"

"Yes!" she laughed, still taking it all in. "Drac, you shouldn't have!"

"Oh yes, he should have!" Johnny called out, bounding up to join them at Mavis's side. "Come on, Ericka, everyone here has had at least one big birthday bash. Now, it's your turn!"

"Really?" Ericka asked breathlessly. The others all around her nodded enthusiastically. She felt her grin widen, and locked eyes with Drac. He too smiled, the pair leaning in automatically towards each other to share a sweet kiss, tender and loving, before leaning back, their foreheads touching gently.

"Well, thank you," she said shyly.

"You're very welcome, honeybat," he cooed, blue eyes gazing deeply into hers.

Right before their lips could meet again, Vlad's voice cut in, mildly annoyed.

"All right, all right, I thought this was supposed to be a birthday party, not a love fest!"

Ericka blushed, suddenly remembering the presence of everyone else there, and averted her gaze with a bashful grin. "Sorry," she murmured.

"Don't be sorry," Drac said, caressing her cheek. "Dad is always a little cranky. Now, come, my love! A proper celebration can't happen without a proper party!"

On cue, she heard loud music blaring out from inside the hotel, and upon hearing it, the gathered monsters quickly ran off to the ballroom.

Ericka watched fondly, leaning up to her husband and quickly stealing that kiss they'd wanted to share, giggling as she could feel him once more melted into that puddle of love-induced bliss that she knew so well. He sighed into her mouth, then pulled away to lean their foreheads together again.

The party was getting started without the birthday girl herself, sure, but Ericka wanted to spend a little more time gazing into the eyes of the man who'd gone through the effort to please her so in the first place, her heart in a swoon and her happiness soaring high.

She would definitely remember this birthday for sure!