thirteen | curiosity killed the cat

"What the fuck are you doing?"

My heart practically leaps up my throat and out of my mouth. I shudder at the sound of his voice as the past hour of my life flashes before my eyes.

Why did I come in here? Stupid, stupid, stupid.

I stay perfectly still, like a statue, in hopes that if I don't move, Logan will forget I'm even here.

Maybe he won't even bother to address the fact that I have completely invaded his privacy and overstepped about a million boundaries.

Maybe he'll just walk away and pretend like this never happened. We could go on with our normal lives and-

"Nova, I can still see you. You haven't just evaporated into thin fucking air." His voice is rough, filled with anger, and it doesn't fail to send chills across my entire body.

What kind of chills? I'm not sure. But if I had to guess they're 50% from fear and 50% from a disturbed part of my brain that enjoys his anger.

"Come here."

Clearly I was just living in an alternative universe where things actually go my way! Because this man has seen me. And I doubt we'll be pretending this incident never happened.

"Now, November."

My fingers shake as I place the frame back down on the nightstand. I gulp down the lump in my throat and roll my shoulders back.

If there's one thing that I'm not going to do right now, it's quiver at his feet and beg for forgiveness.

I'm not a scared little girl. I'm a full grown woman that made the decision, the very bad decision, to snoop through my boss' bedroom.

Was it one of my brightest ideas? No. But I did it anyway and I got caught, so I'm going to own up to my mistakes and take whatever Logan has to give me.

And what he has to give me will probably be a scrap of paper with 'FIRED' written out in big bold letters...

I slowly walk towards him with my hands in the pockets of his suit jacket that I still have on.

I am so so dead. "B-before you start to yell at me I just want to-"

"Don't you dare say 'it's not what it looks like', November." He warns, his eyes narrowed into slits and glowering down at me.

"I wasn't going to say that at all actually. It's exactly what it looks like. I was snooping." I admit and try not to feel too satisfied at the shocked look on his face. "I was just going to say that I'm sorry. I was nosy and I need to start minding my own business."

Logan looks almost sinister as he silently considers my words. His tongue slowly wets his lips, the sight alone making my pulse race.

He runs his tattooed hand across the stubble on his jaw, his head tilting all the while his gaze continues to penetrate through me.