twenty seven | trouble in paradise

"Are you okay?" Miranda asks me as I collapse onto a chair in the staffroom

"Are you okay?" Miranda asks me as I collapse onto a chair in the staffroom. "That was... intense."

I swipe the bead of sweat from my brow and tighten my ponytail, exhaling a deep sigh. "I'm exhausted. I can't believe I pulled it off."

"Girl, I can fuckin' believe it! You absolutely killed it in there!" Orla praises, shaking my shoulders excitedly as she plops down beside me.

She was my very first lab partner, Freshman year. We've been pretty inseparable ever since, she's sort of become my college safety blanket when Cece isn't near.

"It was nothing special." I brush her off shyly and unclip my NYU lanyard from around my neck, stuffing it into my backpack. "Any one of us could have done it."

"Nova." Miranda scoffs at me, swatting my knee with her notepad. "You just delivered twins. That's not just one, but two whole babies!"

"Orla did a C-section for triplets the other day." I happily take the opportunity to pass on the spotlight.

She rolls her eyes and pushes it right back my way. "Correction- I observed a C-section. You, little Miss Wonder-Nurse, just delivered 2 perfectly healthy babies without any assistance whatsoever! That's a whole different ball game."

"You did what?" Henry screeches from across the room, his burrito half-way to his mouth.

"Mrs Slivka went into early labour on the way back from the cafeteria." I explain casually, pulling my sweatshirt out of my bag and tugging it on over my scrubs. "So, I did what any good nurse would do, and delivered the twins."

"In the goddamn hallway!" Miranda adds, enthusiasm dripping from her tone and her beaming smile.

I blush awkwardly as I slide off of the chair and shrug on my coat. "It was not in the middle of the hallway."

"Oh, of course." Orla chuckles drly. "Because Nova managed to carry her into a spare room right before twin A crowned onto the damn floor!"

"Jesus Christ." Henry gasps, mostly impressed and only slightly horrified. I've told him a million and one times that he needs to have a stronger stomach and be less squeamish if he stands a chance in this career.

"It's just standard practise. I'm nothing special."

"Nova." Orla deadpans. "Mrs Slivka named the damn child after you. That's a big ass deal!"

"I have never been more jealous." Miranda sighs, looking exhausted as she runs her bloodshot eyes. "You know what I spent my entire shift doing?"

"What?" I ask hesitantly, tightening my scarf around my neck.

"Escorting Mr Wallowitz to-and-from the bathroom every 10 seconds." She shudders.

Orla hums in understanding, passing a bag of Sour Patch Kids around the room. "I hear that. I was on stoma bag duty all night and, as you can imagine, that is not glamorous work."