(Chapter 7): Class Trial

———————
Makoto's POV

It's about to begin—the debate to decide who we think the killer is...

Anything I found, anything I noticed... I have to be ready to speak up about everything. Because this isn't just about me. Everyone's lives are on the line!

———————
Narrator POV

And so, the trial began. It didn't take long for someone to open the trial with words. Eventually, it turned into a discussion of Makoto's room.

Most of the group couldn't seem to wrap their heads around about it being Makoto's room and therefore, it was Makoto's fault, which wasn't the case.

Although some were stubborn, it wasn't until the evidence was shoved in their faces that they'd accept it. Something that made Y/N roll his eyes at for their stupidity.

'Is this how the trial will go on? Jeez, hearing them sound this stupid makes me want to correct them. But that'd be revealing evidence.' Y/N sighed through his nose.

As it went on, the more Y/N began to feel a strange sense of sorrow within himself. He slowly raised a hand to his chest and felt his heartbeat.

It was beating rapidly.

His gaze softened. He closed his eyes briefly before looking at the students again.

'I know... I'm scared too...'

What Y/N didn't know was that Monokuma saw the strange intereaction with himself. He momentarily had a worried gaze for him, but qucikly composed himself.

'Y/N...' Monokuma thought.

Eventually the trial moved from the room to the murder weapon. The tension was already set in stone by the time they had moved to a new topic. The conversation started off as the usual person getting something wrong and Makoto having to correct them, however, afterwards, he called up Aoi to be his suporting evidence.

Aoi proved his innocence, denying the others accusations against Makoto. Due to this, Toko had brought up the possibility of accomplices. From it, Byakuya asked the two if the murderer and accomplice would be the blackened. Monokuma answered his question and the students began to justify why there wasn't an accomplice.

In the end, Chihiro reasoned why there *would* be an accomplice and Monokuma; frustrated, spoke out.

"Uggh, good grief! Enough already! No, okay!? There are no accomplices in this case!" His eyes widened from what he said. "...Oops, did I say that out loud...?" His expression didn't reflect what he was feeling internally, instead having one that looked as though he only made a small mistake.

The topic went on *who* took the knife, Aoi was briefly accused but was able to prove her innocence thanks to Sakura. She had stayed in Hina's room for night due to her fears. After, Sakura brought up one more possibility...

"Actually, there *is* one othe possibility. Right, Hina?" Sakura said.

"Oh yeah, that's true! One other person did come to the dining hall while we were there." Hina said.

"Why didn't you say so in the first place...?" Byakuya asked. Slightly frustrated that they didn't bring it up.

"Well, because... they're not here anymore." Her tone was somber. Makoto on the other hand, looked perplexed. He realized who she was talking about. "Sayaka. She's the one who came to the dining hall. And then later... ended up dead.