(Chapter 9): Nightmare

———————
Narrator POV

Walking to his room, Sakura carried Makoto bridal style. His eyes were closed, a sick blush displayed on his cheeks as he staggeringly tried to breath.

While she carried him, she turned her head to check his state. A look of concern dawned her face.

'What's happened to you, Makoto?' She narrowed her eyes. 'It could be a regular fever but... I've never seen a fever be this severe.' She examined his features, looking over his body.

'...! What the—!' Her eyes widened. She stopped and let one of the arms holding him carry his entire body as her other arm tugged down on his sweater, exposing his neck.

'These... these are marks! But... they aren't regular marks, they look more like bruises. Especially at the side of his neck. It looks like... the imprints of fingertips. There isn't any other way around it. The only cause of something like this is... choking. That presence I felt last night... did it attack him?' After checking his neck for a few more moments, she sighed and started walking to his room again.

'Just what happened last night, Makoto?' Reaching his room, she bowed slightly. "I hope you don't mind my intrusion." Turning the doorknob, she entered his room.

She looked around for a few seconds before walking over to his bed and rested his body on it. She stepped back and bowed before she left.

As she closed the door, Makoto's body began to spasm slightly. His breathing became rapid as more sweat cascaded down his face and onto the bed. He grit his teeth, twisting and turning in multiple positions in an attempt to get into a comfortable position,

"Ahhhh...! Urg...!" Hugging himself, his arms shook. He couldn't stop shaking.

"A-ahhh... Ugh...!"

————————
Makoto's POV

What the...? What is this place...?

Opening my eyes, the ground... the sky... everything. It was all different from where I was before.

Buildings. They were everywhere along with streets. Though... it looked completely different. Actually... the streets didn't have any roads at all, it was just... smooth.

The buildings themselves were... strange. The shape, the structure, it looked similarly to our own. But... the design, the look? It was completely different. It was almost... futuristic.

Pipes — or, what looked like pipes lined and stretched around the buildings. The pipes themselves were part of the walls, the buildings structure itself.

Though... with everything that was different, there was one thing they all shared. All of it... was destroyed.

Cracks, chunks, and entire sections of — what I assumed was a city — destroyed. Smoke... it was a strong — almost too strong pungent smell in the air. Fire. It was a thing that was present everywhere. There was constant crackle as it continued to burn down the city. The sky... it was pitch black, the flames being the only thing that illuminated the city.

What... what even is this place...? What happened?

"GO! GO!" Shouted a voice.

"...!" Turning my head toward the noise, my heart thumped in my chest.

From the sounds of it, it was coming my way. In the distance, a multitude of figures were running towards me. The two in front were similar in height, but one of them carried another — much smaller on in their arms.