𝑪𝒉𝒂𝒑𝒕𝒆𝒓 21

Distant Memories
Part 1

"𝑯𝒖𝒎𝒐𝒓 𝒊𝒔 𝒆𝒗𝒆𝒓𝒚𝒘𝒉𝒆𝒓𝒆 𝒊𝒏 𝒕𝒉𝒂𝒕 𝒕𝒉𝒆𝒓𝒆'𝒔 𝒊𝒓𝒐𝒏𝒚 𝒊𝒏 𝒋𝒖𝒔𝒕 𝒂𝒃𝒐𝒖𝒕 𝒂𝒏𝒚𝒕𝒉𝒊𝒏𝒈 𝒂 𝒉𝒖𝒎𝒂𝒏 𝒅𝒐𝒆𝒔"
-𝑩𝒊𝒍𝒍 𝑵𝒚𝒆

≿━━━━༺❀༻━━━━≾

In the distant past, tranquility reigned supreme for those who sought solace in the world's most secluded corners. Amid towering trees and crystal-clear rivers teeming with abundant food, a veritable dynasty of plenty thrived.

Enter the Tang Dynasty.

Our tale unfurls within the secluded confines of the Seven-Cut Mountain, a domain both feared and revered by neighboring communities for its elite cadre of demon hunters, renowned throughout China. Amid the unexplored expanse, the stronghold of the esteemed Lian clan emerges, housing within its walls a sparring ground where swords clash in fierce combat, sparing no quarter in their ferocious exchanges.

Amidst the fray stands Lian Xiu, a figure resplendent in cream-white hair and crimson hanfu attire, her jade pendant glistening at her waist. With a solemn gaze, she observes her sparring partner succumb to the rigors of battle, blood staining the stage beneath their feet. As she sheathes her sword and bows, a gesture of respect, she turns away from the grim spectacle.

Around her, faces obscured by the haze of exertion and admiration, hands come together in applause. "Magnificent, truly magnificent, my daughter!" declares the patriarch. "You are the epitome of our lineage, my most esteemed successor."

Turning, the woman beheld the multitude of wives and children he had amassed, one woman openly mourning the loss of the opponent she had faced mere moments before. It was a hierarchy tested through trials of strength, a ritual to determine who would ascend to the revered position of guardian of the ancient relic safeguarded by the family. For Lian Xiu, it wasn't just a tradition-it was a matter of survival.

Her gaze drifted beyond the solemn assembly, fixing upon the twin blades towering over the shrine adorned with a scarlet serpent, with a seemingly inconsequential casket at its base. The burial was austere, for the body would soon meet the flames in a ritualistic farewell. What truly mattered was the passing of the relic's stewardship, and the mantle of upholding the clan's esteemed legacy.

None of her stepsiblings, all close in age, were exempt from the ruling, and it was only a matter of time before Lian Xiu too would be called forth to seal her oath to the formidable weapons.

"Lian Xiu, by the power vested in this sacred ritual, I name you the inheritor of Chimangjing's Blades. Swear unwavering loyalty and dedicate the entirety of your abilities to fulfill your duty, in allegiance to the mighty Python Demon, with this blood oath."

Red, the color of blood, dominated her vision as they submerged her wounded form into the foul bath of blood. Her own essence mingled with the blood and venom of the revered Python Demon, the deity worshipped by her clan. In that moment, bound by the sacred ritual, Lian Xiu became inexorably linked to the mystical weapons. And thus began the monumental shift in her life's trajectory.

On a tempestuous day, amidst her routine task of demon extermination, Lian Xiu unexpectedly encountered a strange group along her path.

Driven by an inexplicable hostility, she locked eyes with a simian figure and swiftly drew her blades, engaging in an impromptu duel that startled their companions.