𝑪𝒉𝒂𝒑𝒕𝒆𝒓 25

Distant Memories
Part 5

"𝑨𝒏𝒅 𝒘𝒉𝒆𝒏 𝒊𝒕 𝒓𝒂𝒊𝒏𝒔 𝒐𝒏 𝒚𝒐𝒖𝒓 𝒑𝒂𝒓𝒂𝒅𝒆, 𝒍𝒐𝒐𝒌 𝒖𝒑 𝒓𝒂𝒕𝒉𝒆𝒓 𝒕𝒉𝒂𝒏 𝒅𝒐𝒘𝒏. 𝑾𝒊𝒕𝒉𝒐𝒖𝒕 𝒕𝒉𝒆 𝒓𝒂𝒊𝒏, 𝒕𝒉𝒆𝒓𝒆 𝒘𝒐𝒖𝒍𝒅 𝒃𝒆 𝒏𝒐 𝒓𝒂𝒊𝒏𝒃𝒐𝒘"
-𝑮𝒊𝒍𝒃𝒆𝒓𝒕 𝑲. 𝑪𝒉𝒆𝒔𝒕𝒆𝒓𝒕𝒐𝒏

━━━━༺❀༻━━━━

"— Ying Xiu!"

"Stop it, Tang, fanning her won't help!"

"I thought she wasn't in Megapolis!" The voices pierced through the haze of her consciousness, jolting her awake with a sensation akin to her brain on the verge of explosion. "So she was kidnapped by him! Again!"

As her eyes fluttered open, the first face she beheld was that of the girl in the green jacket. With a feeble attempt to push herself upright, her limbs felt like jelly, causing her head to loll back onto the person's lap.

Their worried expressions greeted her, smiles tinged with disbelief as they called out her name.

The woman awakened to a flood of memories from her past selves, each carrying their own experiences and emotions that now pulsed within her heart. As she returned to consciousness, the weight of her accumulated history bore down upon her, filling her with a sense of both burden and purpose.

The first word to escape her lips, spoken with resignation, echoed in the room like a solemn mantra.

"Macaque..."

Amidst the filtered sadness of her countless lifetimes, Lian Xiu recalled a handful of moments that diverged from the familiar narrative. In these instances, she found herself in a different setting, accompanied by a peculiar creature draped in raven-black fur, his smile masking the true extent of his intentions.

"Good to see ya, sweetheart," the creature greeted her with a smirk, his presence both unsettling and oddly familiar.

A frown creased Lian Xiu's lips as she turned to face the monkey, hanging upside down from a nearby tree branch. "Macaque," she acknowledged with a mix of resignation and wariness, aware of the unpredictable nature of this particular simian.

The Six-Eared Macaque emerged as a recurring presence throughout Lian Xiu's multitude of lifetimes, a constant companion whose antics provided a welcome distraction from the weight of her fate. Unlike others who crossed her path, the dual blades remained inert in his presence, allowing for a semblance of camaraderie without the threat of violence. He reveled in his role as a trickster, delighting in pranks that brought amusement without causing harm, his mischievous nature a source of both frustration and amusement for Lian Xiu.

Yet, amidst the lighthearted banter and playful exchanges, the Six-Eared Macaque revealed a startling proposition that shattered the status quo. "I'm here to offer you a deal of becoming my mate," he declared boldly when cornered and confronted about his true intentions.

The unexpected proposal left Lian Xiu reeling, her mind grappling with the shock of his revelation. Despite his qualifications and the potential for a shared lifetime, it seemed that their relationship had never progressed towards such a path.