And She's Girlfriend Material

Colt

"Oh my goodness, did you see the look on the defense when you rolled out of the pocket and threw that bomb across your shoulder all the way downfield? I swear I thought I was going to lose my shit! It was so pretty." Nikki throws her head back and laughs.

"I didn't think I would get it all the way over."

"Are you kidding me, Colt? You have a cannon. Now that we are getting your release down, that accuracy is going to pick up. I'm telling you nothing is stopping you from staying first-string next year. This team is yours." She picks up one of the French fries we stopped to get on the way home and pops it in her mouth.

"Nah, that's not what I'm after. If someone else wants it next year. I'll step down."

She puts the bag of fast food on the floor and looks at me, the joy that was just dripping from her face gone.

"What? I thought you were a football player. If you don't want to play the game, why even be on the team?"

"Nikki, this was never the end-all for me. Yeah, it feels good to be number one, but I need to make sure my mother is taken care of. That we have money to survive, I can't do that and devote all the time that I need to the team. Hell, I'm barely holding my head above water now. We've already received notice that they are going to shut our water off. I'm living off cafeteria food and hopes and dreams right now."

She looks down to her lap before she starts talking again. "Do you need me to lend you some money? You know that I'm not exactly—"

I get out of the car before she can say another word.

"Colt! Wait! Just hold on!"

"What do I look like to you, Nikki? I didn't tell you any of that shit so I can be your god damn charity case. You can fuck off with that shit. I don't need any god damn handouts!" I turn and yell at her.

She jumps, and I can see her bottom lip start to tremble. "I didn't mean it like that. Please don't take it that way. I know you don't need a handout. I just don't want you or your mother to be without. Especially after everything you've told me about your dad. I just want to help." She reaches out for me. When I don't move, she wraps her arms around me.

"I'm my own man, I can take care of shit on my own."

"I hear you, Colt, but just know that you don't always have to. I'm here." She rubs a hand over my side. Since we've started practicing, Nikki and I have become somewhat inseparable. I knew that we were heading into relationship territory, but it's nice to hear her say that she's here for me, even if I don't know how to accept the help she is trying to offer.

I shake my head and pull her into a hug, I kiss the top of her head, "I'm sorry Nikki, I shouldn't have screamed at you. Let me get home. My mom is probably waiting up for me."

"Cool, let's go."

***

I should have just walked home, then Nikki wouldn't have to see what I go through on a normal basis.

"Oh my god, what is happening?"

On my front lawn, my mother is crawling on her hands and knees, trying to pick up what looks like her clothes. I don't see my father's car, but I know that he must have been here.

I hop out of the car before Nikki can pull it to a complete stop. "Mom! Mom, are you ok?" I rush over to her and try to help her off the ground, and every movement makes her wince in pain.

"I'm fine. We just had an argument. I'm okay."

I didn't see any new marks on her face. "What's the matter? Are you hurt?"