Memories - 3

"Elvira... Honey."

Elvira wakes up to her mother's voice. "You have to get up honey, we got to get you to the airport..." Elvira sits up and rubs her eyes. "It's time already?" Her mother gently nods her head. "Yes honey... now c'mon. There is no time to waste." Elvira twists so her feet were dangling off the edge of the bed. "Okay mom.. Let's do this."

Elvira stands up, her knees still weak from sleeping. She stumbles to her dresser, her clothes she planned to wear already laying out from the night before. "Let me get changed mom, and I'll meet you in the living room." With that, her mother walks out her room. Elvira grabs her clothes. She first picks up her sweatpants. They are slightly too big for her, they were a gift Afterall. That doesn't mean she doesn't like them just the same. They are a super soft cotton in a rich, black color. They are her absolute favorite sweatpants in the world. Then she grabs her hoodie. It's a colorblock hoodie in beautiful oranges and yellows. She loves this hoodie. It has a vibrant teal hood and a name written along the front of the chest up in the corner. 

She looks in her mirror hanging on her door and gives herself a desperate side smile. She will admit, she is terrified. She has no idea what to expect. She's nervous about being away from her mom, the only person she has ever had in her life. After the... accident... Her father left them. Her entire family shunned them. They were the black sheep of the family. 

She runs her fingers through her dark auburn hair. "Alright.. Let's do this.." She reaches down and grabs her suitcase. She remembers buying this all those years ago. It's black and white with a texture that almost looks like waves on the florida beach. She has loved this suitcase since the very beginning. She remembers walking in her room and it sat in her closet until she eventually needed to use it and, sadly, this was the last time she would leave the comfort of her room with it. 

Elvira walks down the stairs, the stairs that have left so many bruises from falling up and down them. She walks through the kitchen where her and her friends would stay up till 3 am baking cakes and icing them. They always ended up burning it and trying to compensate with the frosting. They never tasted good, but that was always part of the fun. Then to the living room. There she saw her mom. She was going to miss her dearly. 

"Hello honey, ready to go?"

"I guess I'm as ready as I'll ever be.."

With that they walk out the door. And as she puts her suitcase in the trunk of her mom's car, she takes one more look at the house.

"So long old friend... Take care of mom for me..."