:01

CHAPTER ONE:

I lean against the wall and struggle to keep my eyes open. I try to focus on the one thing that helps me keep conscious: the beautiful city lights.

"I've lived here all my life and I've never gotten tired of being fixated on the bright lights surrounding me. I love the sound of laughter, music, slot machines, and the buzz of the millions of neon lights," I let my eyes wander from left to right, admiring my city.

"For seventeen years - and probably for the rest of my life - I've thought of Las Vegas as the superior city in the world. The wonderful city itself is it's own Yin and Yang. Within it's boundaries you have an aesthetic mix of dark and light, hard and soft, dishonor and love, masculinity and femininity, and sinfulness and morality," I continue.

"Every aspect of this city blends together to compose one big story that no human is able to ever comprehend. The city is a controversial poem about the political and economic corruption of adolescent society. The city is that word on the tip of your tongue which you're trying so hard to remember. The city is the feeling you get when you hear your house creak in the middle night when everyone else is asleep. The city is like a box of chocolates; you never know what you're going to get," I lead on.

"In my opinion the city stands for independence, adulthood, and euphoria. Every weekend is something new; every weekend I make this city my bitch."

"Kalena, you're piss drunk and probably high with all that philosophical shit you keep babbling on about," my best friend complains as he helps me up from the ground and picks me up. I put my index finger to his pink lips and grin wide.

"Shut up, Mikey. I'm sober as a-" I lose my train of thought as my mind begins to swirl back into oblivion as my eyes focus on all the bright, colorful lights scattered around me.

"As a what? See you can't even finish a proper sentence without slurring your words," Mikey points out as he grips my body tighter in the bridal-style hold he has me in, "Let's get you back home before your parents notice you're gone."

"Who cares about my parentals. I'm seventeen for fuck's sake; a big girl is what I am. Now let me down before I yell 'rape!'" I twist his ear and he loosens his grasp on me. I plant my feet on the ground only to lose my footing and face plant on the cold, hard cement.

"You are such a hassle, why am I even friends with you?" he asks.

"Because!"

"Because what?"

"Because you love me!" I get up from the ground and kiss my best friend on the cheek.

"That's damn right and it's a curse," he rubs the wet stain of dark purple lipstick with the back of his hand.

"Where to now, Mikey?"

"I told you already: Home." he repeats.

"And I told you already: Who cares? I am a big girl," I flick his nose.

"I really hate you right now," Michael swoops his arms down and throws me over his shoulder, "I know where to take you for the time being."

I struggle to get out of his grasp, which was too tight to loosen; I gave up immediately.

"Where, Gordon?" I giggle at my best friend's middle name.

"What did I tell you about that stupid name, Kalena!" he dares to inch my body close to the ground.

"To never, ever say it out loud," I panic as my head slips close to the cement, "Sorry sorry sorry!"

"Whatever, just try not to talk the rest of the way," he pulls me back up to his shoulder.