One

Monty Kennedy

Monty Kennedy

"I'm impressed, you do a cross-country move and didn't lose one piece of luggage. That's more impressive than a half-court shot." I rubbed my tired eyes as I sat up on the couch. My couch was the only thing that had been put together so far.

"You know what's not impressive? This weather, dad." I speak after clearing my throat. I tossed the throw pillow behind my head, punching the pillow with my fist a few times as I laid back down.

"Yeah, well, that's what happens when you're a California boy who wanted to move to the east coast." He teased me. I bit my bottom lip, struggling to keep my eyes awake.

"Dad, it's the middle of Pennsylvania, it's hardly the east coast." I reminded him.

"You're practically scaling the Appalachian mountains, you're on the east coast son." In the background, I heard the sound of the espresso machine working in his kitchen. The sound brought back fond memories of my childhood. I never had an alarm clock growing up, it was always the sound of my doctor parents' espresso machines in the morning.

"Your history of United States geography is not impressive." It was eleven in the morning– too early for a call when I had returned home late last night from the gym. Adjusting to a new time schedule was rough, but adjusting to new hardwood floors that make up all ninety-two inches of a court was even harder.

He chuckled through the speaker. "You know what's also not impressive? The thirteen turnovers you had in practice last night." I rolled my eyes, pulling the blanket up to my chest. However, I huffed in annoyance because my shins were peeking out the bottom. Stupid short blanket.

"Dad, it's a new court, I'm getting adjusted." I defended myself.

New court. New team. New state. New timezone. New everything. Deciding to transfer from Pepperdine to Penn State my senior year was a huge risk that I was willing to take but many people claimed that I would be making a huge mistake.

"Hey now! I'm not harping on you or preaching to a choir, I'm just saying— how you play in practice is how you play in a game." Yeah, yeah, yeah. He was in fact harping on me and preaching to an invisible choir.