Three

Blaire Burton

Blaire Burton

TW: drugs.

If there was one thing my mother hated about me most it would be the fact that I had the social skills of a butterfly but I never truly used them. According to my seventh-grade therapist, it's a coping mechanism.

Shutting people out because it's much easier at the end of the day to say goodbye to people who you don't really know much about, no matter how badly they tried to get to know you.

Sometimes I think that being a bitch to people was the best for me. Nobody would want to be friends with me. Nobody would want to interact with me. Nobody would want to come within five feet of me. Which is what I wanted. I didn't want anyone near me.

"You look really good, a red lipstick really compliments your black hair." I was up close and personal with the mirror in front of me. I was sitting on the countertop, knees touching the faucet. My eyes flashed to Ellie who walked in, a book in her hands.

I swallowed my smart-ass remark as I saw the title of Twilight in her hands.

I wished I was a reader. I wished I could escape from the cusp of reality and some days I do. Sometimes I find myself in such a cloud of negativity, that I forget who I really am– what I want to do, who I love, who I wish to love, and what life is about.

"Thanks, girl. Are you ready to drink?" I asked.

She shook her head. "No, I'm not that big of a drinker." I capped the lipstick and fluffed my hair at the roots in the mirror. Slowly I turned, staring at her, legs open as I sat perched on the bathroom counter.

"Me either, I'd much rather be high than be drunk." I slowly slid off of the countertop and walked past her toward my bedroom which was dimly lit, having clothes thrown all over it as I tried to find the best outfit for tonight.

It didn't matter what I looked like at the party. It mattered what I looked like after the party.

"Oh no, I don't do that either. Well, I've done it once before but I don't like going to parties, they aren't really my scene. I'd much rather stay at home." Ellie's voice was following me as I grabbed the bottom of my white wife-beater. I pulled it over my head and my perky breast popped out, and one of the nipples pierced.