Four

Monty Kennedy

Monty Kennedy

I was lucky. My entire life was shiny, flashy, and more successful than most people's. However, that didn't mean I didn't like to have fun and work hard. I was a hard worker– and I had something to prove. When I commit to something– I make a vow to myself to not break that commitment. The last thing that I ever would want to be seen as is a liar, a quitter, or a cheat.

My eyes roamed over Penn, one of Reese's roommates, as he placed his hands on the hips of a girl, pressing himself up against her as she threw her head back against his chest– her cheeks flushed due to alcohol and him.

"So let me get this straight, you drag me out of the comfort of my fully furnished condo to come to this lame-ass party?" I asked Reese as he walked toward the shot rack, grabbing a bottle of Vlad. I placed my head in my hands as I watched him move toward the shot glasses, without a doubt getting ready to take what felt like his millionth shot of the night.

"Take a shot with me! I'm throwing this welcome home party for you" Reese yelled, waving for me to come to the other side of the kitchen bar with him. I shook my head and motioned to the water bottle in my hand. I was only drinking water tonight.

"It's not a welcome home party if this isn't even your home." A new voice cut in. That voice belonged to Mitch, another one of Reese's roommates that probably didn't know his belly button from his asshole.

"So do you like playing basketball? I just heard that you are coming from California. I've never met a boy from California." I blinked slowly at the blonde girl who was batting her eyelashes way too frequently for me to be interested.

I pointed toward Reese with my water bottle, "He's from California."

She blushed. "I've never met a basketball player from California." I pursed my lips. "Have you met any basketball players at all?" I asked. She shook her head.

"No, I haven't. But the one I'm talking to right now is pretty interesting to me–" She was cut off by Reese's yelling. Thank god for him.

"I've got a spare bedroom!" He exclaimed again.