Vol. 3 Ch. 22 The Nightingale's Findings

Your POV

As Qrow, Ozpin, Glynda, and I made our way towards Beacon Tower, Qrow spoke up and said, "Didn't think I'd ever see you again, kid." I rolled my eyes and said, "You do know that, despite my appearance, I'm much older than you." Qrow chuckled as he took a sip from his flask and said, "Yeah, that's what Oz told me. But that aside, I know it's been roughly 12 years since I last saw you, but I'm just curious. How long ago has it been for you?" I smirked and replied, "For me personally, I'd say it's been just under a year."

As we reached Beacon Tower and stepped onto the elevator, Qrow took another drink from his flask and said, "So, what's this rumor that I've been hearing about you stopping some kind of alien invasion at Mountain Glenn?" I smirked and said, "It's true. Unfortunately, it brought up a few concerning questions of mine." Oz turned to me a bit concerned and I said, "I plan to discuss it with the others when we reach your office, Oz." He nodded as we finally reached the elevator.

3rd Person POV

Ironwood was waiting with his arms crossed while Winter was impatiently pacing about. Suddenly, a smirking Qrow, accompanied by Goodwitch, Ozpin, and Nightingale arrived in the elevator. Winter spoke up first and said, "What were you thinking!?" Ironwood spoke next and said, "If you were one of my men, I would have you shot!" As the four of them stepped off the elevator, Qrow pulled out his flask and replied, "If I was one of your men, I'd shoot myself."

Glynda spoke up and said, "While I wouldn't condone his behavior, retaliating like you did certainly didn't help the situation." Winter argued in reply, saying, "He was drunk!" Glynda responded irritatedly and said, "He's always drunk!"

Your POV

The five of us turned to Qrow to see him drinking from his flask once more. His eyes widened when he noticed us staring, and he held the flask out to the side, looking at it awkwardly before grimacing and taking another drink. Ozpin stared at Qrow in shock, then sighed as he sat down and said, "Qrow, why are you here?"

Ironwood added on and said, "You've been out of contact for weeks! You can't just go dark like that in the field!" Qrow replied and said irritatedly, "I'm not one of your special operatives, Jimmy!" Winter corrected him and said, "General." Qrow ignored her and said, "Whatever. You sent me to get intel on our enemy, and I'm telling you, our enemy is here."

Ironwood leaned against Ozpin's desk and said, "We know." Qrow replied sarcastically and said, "Oh! Oh, you know! Well, thank goodness I'm out there risking my life to keep you all informed!"

Then he pulled out his Scroll and said, "Communication's a two-way street, pal. You see this? That's the SEND button." Winter commented once more and said, "They had reason to assume you'd been compromised."

Qrow replied in annoyance, "And I have reason to assume you don't need to be here. Seriously, who invited her?" I nodded in agreement before Ironwood spoke up and said, "Schnee, we'll discuss this incident back at my ship." Winter looked surprised and retaliated, saying, "But sir!" Ironwood replied in a commanding tone and said, "Winter. Leave."

Winter saluted Ironwood and said, "Yes sir." She turned on her heel and gave the winking Qrow a dirty look as she headed towards the elevator. She paused in front of me and saluted once more, saying, "Nightingale. It was a honor to finally meet you." I closed my eyes and groaned saying, "Likewise, but enough with the saluting, seriously."

Winter put her hand down and entered the elevator. Then Ironwood gestured to Qrow and said, "Go on." Qrow responded and said, "Your little infiltrator isn't just another pawn. They're the one responsible for Autumn's condition." He took a drink from his flask once more as Glynda said, "What?"

Qrow continued and said, "Despite what the world thinks, we're not just teachers, or Generals, or Headmasters. The people in this room, The leaders of the other two academies, we're the ones that keep the world safe from the evils no one even knows about! It's why we meet behind closed doors, why we work in the shadows. So you tell me, James, when you brought your army to Vale, did you think you were being discreet, or did you just not give a damn!?" I nodded and said, "I'd like to know your reasoning behind that too, James. It's very similar to the ways that some of my enemies prepare for war."

Ironwood stared down at Qrow and I as he placed his Scroll on Ozpin's desk and said, "Discreet wasn't working." The center of the room projected a hologram of Vale, Beacon Academy, the Amity Colosseum and Ironwood's fleet of Atlesian Airships, which he gestured to and said, "I'm here because this is what was necessary."

Qrow replied and said, "You're here because Ozpin wanted you here! He made you a part of this inner circle and opened your eyes to the real fight that's in front of us!" Ironwood responded and simply said, "And I am grateful."

Qrow replied in annoyance and said, "Oh, well, you've got a real funny way of showing it." I nodded and said, "I concur. Even I know how to make things work while being more discreet." Ironwood replied and said, "The people of Vale needed someone to protect them; someone who would act. When they look to the sky and see my fleet, they feel safe, and our enemies will feel our strength."

Qrow and I started laughing and Qrow said, "You... You think they're scared of your little ships? I've been out there and I've seen the things she's made, and let me tell you - they are fear." Ozpin stood up and said, "And fear will bring the Grimm. A guardian is a symbol of comfort. But an army is a symbol of conflict. There's an energy in the air now, a question in the back of everyone's minds..."

Oz gestured to the display as he continued, "If this is the size of our defenses, then what is it we're expecting to fight?" Ironwood glares at us before sighing and walking forward, picking up his Scroll as he asked, "So then, what would you suggest we do?" Ozpin replied and said, "I suggest we ask our resident Time Lord."

They all nodded as they turned to me. I sighed and said, "Well, to begin with, Salem isn't our only major concern. After the near invasion on Mountain Glenn, I realized something quite worrisome. How did all of those different enemies of mine find out about Remnant and the potential of using Dust?"

Everyone went wide-eyed and Ironwood said, "That is a fair question." I nodded and said, "To add on to that, that wasn't the first time I'd encountered one of them on Remnant. I encountered a Dalek, which is one of the biggest enemies of the Time Lords. I had made an offer to Weiss Schnee, to take her to any point in time on this planet to prove that the TARDIS was indeed a time machine. She requested that we visit the old Kingdom of Mantle before the Great War."

I paused briefly, just to make sure that everyone was still following me on what I was saying, then I continued to explain the Dalek encounter to them. Once I finished explaining that encounter in full detail, Glynda spoke up and said, "I'm glad that the two of you got away unharmed. But you said that Dalek mentioned something about a rift in time and space?"

I nodded as I continued and said, "Precisely. And after the event at Mountain Glenn, it got me thinking about the possibility that maybe the rift that led to the Dalek encounter wasn't the only occurrence. I decided to go through different point of this planet's history to find out. I ended up finding that each of my enemies that showed up at Mountain Glenn had a least one or two of their own kind fall through one of these rifts."

Putting the pieces together, Oz spoke up with a bit of concern in his tone as he said, "That would most likely explain how they found out about the Dust." I nodded and said, "Exactly. But what I haven't quite figured out is who or what is creating these rifts. I can't be 100% sure if it is in fact Salem or not. However, I can be sure that whoever it is, they're not on our side."

Ozpin gave me a slightly shocked look and replied, "I assume you've got a plan then?" I nodded and said, "Yes, I believe so. But it most likely won't be easy if the enemy catches on, whether it's Salem, one of my enemies, or whoever is behind the rifts." I let out a sigh before I added, "At the very least, I want to save as many people as possible from whatever could be coming our way. It's one of the things that I'm best at."

I hope you all enjoyed this chapter.
Master out.