Vote

Two guards opened the double doors into the Dining Room for me. 

"What's this?" 

Johanna, Enobaria, Annie, Finnick, Peeta, and Haymitch were standing around the table. 

Beetee was in his wheelchair. 

"The remaining Victors." Coin replied. 

"Won't you join us?" She requested. 

With a rye smile, Johanna spreaded her arms. 

Coin, Johanna, Enobaria, Annie, Finnick, Peeta, Haymitch, Beetee, and me sat at the table. 

I sat in between Peeta and Haymitch. 

"I have invited you all here for several reasons. But first, I have an announcement. I have taken the burden and the honor of declaring myself Interim President of Panem." Coin announced. 

Haymitch scoffed. 

"Interim? Exactly how long is that interim?" He inquired. 

"We have no way of knowing for certain. But it's clear that people are far too emotional right now to make a rational decision. We'll plan an election when the time is right." She answered. 

Coin eyed me. 

"But I have called you here for a far more important vote. A symbolic vote. This afternoon, we will execute Snow. Hundreds of his accomplices also await their deaths. Capitol Officials, Peacekeepers, Torturers, Gamemakers. But the danger is, once we begin, the Rebels will not stop calling for retribution." She pointed out. 

"Thirst for blood is a difficult urge to satisfy. So, I offer an alternative plan. Majority of four may approve it. No one may abstain. The proposal is this. In lieu of these barbaric executions, we hold a symbolic Hunger Games." Coin proposed. 

Haymitch and me stared incredulously. 

Johanna laughed. 

"You wanna have another Hunger Games with The Capitol's children?" She questioned.  

"You're joking?" Peeta questioned. 

"Not in the slightest." She replied. 

He scoffed. 

"Is this Plutarch's idea?" Haymitch questioned. 

"It was mine. It balances the need for revenge with the least loss of human life. You may cast your votes." Coin answered. 

"No. No. Obviously not. This is crazy." Peeta voted. 

"Well, I think it's more than fair. Snow's got a granddaughter. I say "Yes." Johanna voted. 

"So, do I. Let them have a taste of it." Enobaria voted. 

"You guys, this way of thinking is what started these uprisings." He pointed out. 

"I vote "No." With Peeta." Annie voted. 

"No." Finnick voted. 

"No. We need to stop viewing each other as enemies." Beetee voted. 

"It's down to Katniss and Haymitch." She pointed out. 

Coin looked across the table at me. 

I met her gaze. 

"I get to kill Snow." 

"I expected no less of you." 

Tears welled up in my eyes. 

"Then I vote "Yes." For Prim." I voted. 

"Haymitch?" 

I turned to him. 

Haymitch wore a scowl. 

He considered me, his face growing wary. 

"I'm with the Mockingjay." Haymitch voted. 

"That carries the vote. Excellent. We'll announce the Games tonight. After the execution."