Chirp - Ficlet

*Inspired by a Tumblr post*

TW: Mentions of blood, almost-but-not-quite-murder, lil' bit graphic in the mama Leo feels

Leo prides himself on being a calm warrior worthy of honor and respect.

He keeps a clear head at all times. He always plays fair. He never takes a life unless necessary. He's cool, collected, and proves himself worthy of the title of leader time and time again. It was who he was.

Until he isn't.

Until he hears a scream.

He knows Raph and Mikey hear it too. He can see the horror in their eyes as the sound that almost reaches a shriek pierces the air. The warning of a brother falling breaking the fluidity of the battle and threatening to change the course of their lives.

Leo bolts without looking back.

He sprints down the hall and to the control room where they left their genius of a brother, skidding to a stop to assess the danger. Donnie is on the ground across the room, a boot planted on his chest as his bleeding arm taints the floor, the smirking face of his tormentor reflecting in the rippling scarlet surface.

He leans a bit more, crushing his younger brother's chest, and Leo sees the tears streaming down the bloodied face. Then he hears it. Tiny, weak, helpless chirps that beg for release, that plead for help, that seep only terror and pain, that call for him- need him- it hurts, it hurts, it hurts, it hurts-

Leo knows this rage. He sees it in Raph's eyes sometimes. He's seen it in his own when the world takes it's wrath out on his team, when it pushes boundaries, stupidly assuming that the leader wouldn't push back. He knows when to draw lines, and every obvious plea of agony that goes ignored is another chip at his sanity.

He stalks up behind the unsuspecting monster who dares even consider laying a hand on his little brother-

And holy mother of mutations- Leo knows he must have a death wish when he goes ahead and seals his fate.

"Well, aren't you just pathetic."

The fight is a blur. If one could call it a fight. The horrific excuse for a person doesn't see him coming and doesn't get a chance to defend. He goes down easy, and his suffering is just as instantaneous. Leo's sword has blood on it as he puts it back in his sheath. No matter. He'll deal with that later.

When he looked back on the moment, he isn't particularly proud of his actions, but the man was still more-or-less alive when he was finished with him. If anything, that monster should be grateful that Leo allows him to continue to breathe.

He walks over to his little brother, carefully sitting him up and looking over his arm. It's more than obvious that it's broken, and Donnie's eyes are glazed with pain, the chirps growing louder with the contact- hurt, hurts, help, hurts, help, hurt, hurts-

His little brother who tries so hard still has fight in him, and attempts to shove away, unable to see his protector for who he is.

Leo tucks him into his hold, pressing their foreheads together as an instinctive churr rises in response- safe, you're safe, safe, I'm here, always here- and the chirps quiet, not quite stopping in their anguish- help, help, help- as his little brother curls in on himself, terrified of the big bad world that seems to hate them.

Yet, as much as the world hates them, Leo will love them in turn. He wipes at the side of his face that isn't pressed against plastron, the motion ridding his brother of some of the liquid that reveals his torment. He rocks him for a moment, hoping to remind him he's safe- safe, safe, always here, always here- and he feels as the struggle stops, his younger brother finally surrendering in recognition.

The leader barely notices the weight as he lifts him up.

He doesn't look back. His younger brothers don't question him when he enters the room, and he doesn't comment on how fast the other villains went down. He lets them play nurse after Donnie's taken care of and safely tucked in his bed.

He doesn't feel any regret as he cleans off the blood, because some of it was Donnie's, and that monster wouldn't have hesitated to rid him of all of it. He would have taken his little brother away without a hint of remorse or regret.

He is the sensei now. If the time comes, he'll cross any line to keep his family safe.

No one touches his brothers. No one.