Chapter One (Short)

In the Kingsleigh Manor, Andromeda's POV

I sit in bed reading A Tale of Two Cities by Charles Dickens when I saw Alastor, my six-year-old brother walk by my bedroom door. I frowned in concern, "Ast? Are you okay?" Alastor shook his head no and just kept walking by to where father was talking with some business associates in the parlour. I shrugged and kept reading, knowing that Ast would come to me when he wanted to, I didn't want to overwhelm him as mother and father do.

"Oh, sweetheart. Are you still up?" I looked up to see mother smiling at me as she walked into my room. I smiled and closed the book, making sure to save my place, "Yes mother. I just can't put it down!" Mother giggles and sits by my side, "I have another for you by Dickens if you're up for it, Meda." 

I smiled widely and set my novel aside, waiting for the next grand adventure that her mother will give her. Mother giggled as I sat somewhat patiently, but naturally gave up quickly. "Mum!" I whined and she laughed, handing another book out to me. I gasped in happiness, "Great Expectations! Oh, mother! How did you know?" 

Mother laughed, "I'm your mother, sweetie. It's my job. Now. Get some sleep." Mother kissed my head as I saw father in the doorway, "Alastor is back in his room, sleeping. Maybe the nightmare will die down for the night and allow him some rest. Meda could you please-" 

I nodded and smiled, "Of course father. Ast will always have me. I promise." Father smiled and kissed my forehead, "Sweet dreams love." Father winked and slipped a necklace into my hands and I looked to see that it was the exact one I had asked for on my birthday last month.

That night will always be held dear to my heart, as will the necklace with the last picture of my father.