Chapter Two

Thirteen Years Later

I sit in the carriage, reading yet another fantastic work by Charles Dickens, while mother fixes everything she finds wrong with Alastor's appearance. I smile sadly at Ast, knowing where we are going and what's going to happen. I was forced to keep the secret, while also being told to find a suitable husband and to stop refusing everyone that comes calling. "Must we go?" Alastor sighs, looking at mother, "Doubt they'll notice if we never arrive." 

I softly grin looking at my book, "Ah my dear little brother, of course, they'll notice. Besides, maybe you'll find someone suitable for your tastes." Mother nudges me quickly and Ast rolls his eyes, "Meda, please. I know what I want and marriage isn't it at the moment." Mother sighs, "They will notice, she is right." 

Mother felt around Alastor's stomach and frowned, "Where's your corset? You know that it's part of your clothing to dress properly as your sister does." I giggled, "While the women wear high-waisted corsets, the men will wear low-waisted ones to make them seem more masculine."

Ast just looks down and mother sighs in annoyance, moving Alastor's coat aside, "And no tie?" Alastor huffs, "I'm against them." Mother grits her teeth, "But you're not properly dressed." I frowned, "Mother, he looks fine. In my opinion, men don't need corsets because they naturally have the figure needed and ties just choke you." Alastor nods and mother just glances at me, "Andromeda, while I appreciate you sticking up and helping your brother, he isn't properly dressed. You know this." 

Alastor looks baffled, "Who's to say what is proper? What if it was agreed that 'proper' was wearing a codfish on your head? Would you wear it?" Mothe sighs and I rub her back slightly, knowing how hard it's been without father. "Alastor," Mother closes her eyes in frustration. 

Alastor looks out the window, "To me, a corset and tie are like a codfish." Mother huffs, "Please, not today. I have a hard enough time getting Meda to put down those books to find a proper husband for herself." I grin sheepishly, "Sorry mother." I set the book aside and smile as mother kisses my head.

"Father would have laughed," Alastor says and I flinch, knowing how hard this has been for her. Father's passing will always be a touchy subject for mother. Alastor looks over and frowns, "I'm sorry. I'm tired. I didn't sleep well last night." Mother looks concerned and to be honest, I did as well. Every night he says it's the same one, that shouldn't be normal. "Did you have bad dreams again?" 

"Only one," Alastor frowns, "It's always the same, ever since I could remember. Do you think that's normal? Don't most people have different dreams?" Mother shakes her head, "I don't know. Meda?" I shrug, "I'm not sure. I've been having one recently about someone I can not reach. I can hear him and speak to him, but getting to him is the issue. No matter how much I run to him, he's always out of reach." 

Alastor grins, "Maybe he's the one for you. The runaway." I mockingly laugh, "Very funny brother. Keep this up and I'll switch you out for a Beagle. I'll have the same experience with that dog that I have with you now." Alastor chuckles, "Speak of me that way all you want, we both know that I'm the favorite brother." I smiled and look out the window, "That you are, Ast. That you are." 

I sneer as we arrive at the Ascot's Manor, not really wanting to be here. Several reasons actually.

Number one: Harmonie, the stuck-up snob wanting to marry my brother. While it is custom for the man to propose, everyone knows that Alastor won't do it even if there was a rifle pointed at his head. Alastor has never found a woman that captured his attention, well, positively of course. On many occasions, we would walk in the town square just gossiping about the women making a fool of themselves to impress my brother. So Harmonie has taken it upon herself to propose to my brother, expecting him to say yes. 

Number two: My older brother's wife: Lauren. She's lucky to be married to my brother and she sneaks around with Harrold. I have desperately wanted to inform Marcus about what his wife is doing behind his back, but Marc is deeply in love with Lauren and I can't find the hate in myself to ruin a marriage like that. My father used to tell me, "Wait. Their actions will come back around and ruin everything they made for themself. Focus on you and you alone. Don't stress yourself over other's people actions." 

Number three: The Chattaway Twins. Fred and Fabian. The most absolute talkative men I have ever met and that's coming from a woman who likes to gossip. They will gossip more than I will. These two make it their mission to one-up each other to impress me. You would figure that being twins, you'd rather spend time with said twin and ignore the world. No, that's not how it works with the two. "And! I would love to tell you what happened in the town square today!" "Meda! No, come over here! I would like to give you a gift." Ugh, I want a man who is compassionate and caring, but can also be harsh when his loved ones are at risk. Someone who protects his family, but also knows when to shut the fuck up and take a nap, cuddling me. 

I'm asking quite a bit I know. 

Rushing along the paveway and up to Lord and Lady Ascot, I softly smiled at Lord Ascot. He's always been the nicer one towards me as Lady Ascot was a bit of a bitch. "At last, We thought you'd never arrive," Lady Ascot said sweetly, but with a hint of malice hidden behind it, "Alastor, Harmonie is waiting to dance with you. Go." I grit my teeth at her disrespect for my brother and smile sadly at Ast as he looks at me as he walks away. 

"You know, you don't have to be so hateful, Lady Ascot," I say, harshly to the older woman. She ignores me and looks at my mother, "You do realize it's well past four o'clock. Now everything will have to be rushed through." I roll my eyes, "You do realize that good things happen to those who wait." Mother sets a hand on my arm and I keep quiet, knowing that she wants me to stop. 

"I am sorry," Mother apologizes, even if she isn't in the wrong. "Oh nevermind, besides, the Chattaway boys are looking for you Andromeda. Please do try and obtain a husband before the night is over. No one likes an unmarried lady," With that Lady Ascot walks away, leaving mother and me ready to knock her candle out. Mother encourages me with a small shove to head over to the Chatty Cathy's and I look at her with fear, "Please don't feed me to the sharks mother!"

Lord Ascot chuckles and I pout, knowing that I can't get away with this. I walk over passed the dance platform and grimace as I hear my name being called, "Andromeda! The wonderful and beautiful lady we were hoping to see!"

I sighed and muttered, "This is going to be a nightmare."