Chapter Eleven

Maverick and I stand beside each other as Nirvana blows the trumpet, "Who will step forth to be champion for the White King and Queen?"  I watch as Tarrant steps forward, "That would be I." I watch silently as our friends step forward to be the champion, but we all know who it must be.

"You have very poor evaporating skills. I should be the one," Cheshire said. Matt walks forward, "I'll do it." The twins walk forward, "No, me." "No, me." Maverick gives Alastor a side-eye glance and I set a hand on Mave's arm in comfort. 

Nirvana unrolls the Oraculum and we all glance at it, seeing that nothing has changed and Alastor is the only one to defeat the Jabberwocky. "No other slayer, nohow." "If it ain't Alastor, it ain't dead." 

Maverick looks at the twins and shakes his finger no, knowing that Alastor has a problem with slaying the beast. I look at Alastor and smile sadly at him, "Ast, you can not live your life to please others. The choice must be yours, because when you step out to face that creature-" Maverick steps beside me and looks sadly at Alastor, "You will step out alone." 

Alastor looks around and starts to walk backwards, once again running away from his problems. I sigh and wrap my arms around myself, leaning back into Maverick who wrapped his arms around me. 

Later that day

I wasn't allowed to leave Maverick's sights, so of course I was seated on his horse. I sighed, "I'm sorry Mave." I watched as he looked back at the castle, in hopes that Alastor would join us. "I'm just worried my love. That's all." 

I heard large, thundering footsteps and smiled, turning around to see Alastor riding on top of the Bandersnatch, "Hello, brother." Alastor smiled and Maverick got up on the horse behind me.  I smiled at my parents on their own horses, "Are you two sure you want to come along? I would feel better if you guys stay here." 

My father grips the reigns of his horse, "I want to show Ian that he can never have my daughter." Mother giggled, "He's a little salty." I smiled, "It seems so." Maverick kissed the back of my neck and snapped his reigns, walking forward to the battlefield. 

-At the Champions' field-

We all stop and Maverick helps me off the horse, "Come, love. Let's go try and talk my brother out of this foolish battle." 

I place my arm on his arm and we walk forward to Ian and Illiana. "Hello, Ian," Maverick said to his brother. Ian rolled his eyes and just glanced at me, "Hello......Maverick. Hello, my love." I stepped closer to Maverick and tucked my face into his chest. 

"On this, Frabjous Day, the Kings Red and White and the White Queen shall send forth their champions to do battle on their behalf." Maverick sighed and looked at Ian, "Oh, brother. We don't have to fight." 

Ian gave a sneering glance at Mave, "I know what you're doing. You think you can blink those pretty little eyes and I'll melt just like mummy and daddy did. Give you everything you want. My throne, my wife, my everything!" 

Maverick took a deep breath and held a hand out for him to take, "Please." Ian scoffed and sneered, "No! It is my crown! I am the eldest! Andromeda was supposed to be mine! Hand her to me!" My father stepped forward, "I will never let you have my daughter." Ian growled, "Jabberwocky!"

We all watch the Jabberwocky wake up and walk forward, with us walking back over to our side. My mother sighed, "Stayne was glaring at Meda. We can't let her kill her." Tarrant stepped forward, "Don't worry. I'll fight Stayne to keep the White Queen alive." 

Maverick glares at Ian and Ian grins, "Where's your champion brother?" Alastor walks forward and glares at Ian, "Here." Ian sneers, "Hello, Um." Alastor just stares at the Jabberwocky and I gulp, completely afraid for Alastor's life. Maverick holds me close to him and kisses my head, "You will not leave my side. I can't bear to watch you die." I nodded and cuddled close to Mave, trying to ignore the glare that Ian is giving us. 

We watch as Tarrant stabs the Jabberwocky's tail to give Alastor a chance to grab the Vorpal Sword and Ian points to Tarrant, "The Hatter's interfering! Off with his head!" Stayne draws her sword and stalks over to me, only for Tarrant to intercept her. 

Maverick and I stand off to the side, watching everything. I turn around to see my father get stabbed, "No!" I cry out and pick up my skirt, running over to my father. Maverick yells for me to come back, but stops trying to get me to stay when he sees what's wrong. 

"Father, father. Please. Don't go. I just got back. Don't go," I sniffle and hold my father's head up as Mother comes running over. "Rinton! No!" Mother cries and grabs his hand. My father coughs and grabs our hands, "My dearest wife and daughter. I love you both and have cherished everything. Please don't cry, remember me with smiles." I smiled through my tears and kissed his head,  "I love you, Father." 

Mother cried as Father took his last breath and I walked back over to Maverick, sniffling. "I am so sorry, love. He will have the funeral of royalty. I promise." I gasped as Alastor cuts off the head of the Jabberwocky. Everyone stops and looks at Alastor in amazement.