part 4

She doesn't know why it bothered her so much to think of him with the blonde.

And it isn't a strange feeling either. As much as she deeply liked Cami before, she always felt a twinge of jealousy whenever she saw her with Klaus.

How gentle he was with her. She always wished he'd treat her with the same love and delicacy he showed his trusted therapist.

"Caroline says they're almost here."

"Good."

Her tone was cold, and he could never think it might be out of jealousy. He always thought that ship had sailed a long time ago.

She feels nothing for him, she never will.

"Well then, if you excuse me, I'll be out hunting down innocents. You're welcome to join."

And with that obnoxious grin, he left.

_______

It's been a week, and Josie still hasn't replied to her messages.

Ever since she kissed her that doomed night, she's been keeping her distance.

And it's been eating at her. She knew she perhaps crossed a line, but she hoped at least their friendship could survive that mistake.

Apparently, it's not. So she blinks back tears and steps out of the car.

Caroline asks her if she's nervous to see her dad, and she denies it.

When the doorbell rang, Hayley rushed to pull Hope into a tight hug.

"Oh, honey, I've missed you so much."

"Me too, Mom, but I can't breathe."

Hayley pouted and apologized before inviting Caroline inside with a smile.

"No, it's alright. I'm staying at a hotel, actually. I know Hope would much rather spend this time with her parents."

_____

"What a surprise! Dad isn't here, as usual," she said bitterly, throwing her luggage on the floor.

"Stop it. Your dad loves you, he just... had to take care of something, but he'll be back soon."

"What's more important than seeing the daughter he hasn't talked to in a decade? God, Mom, just stop making excuses for him. You always do that!"

"Hope, trust me, that's all behind us. Your dad missed you so much, and from now on, he's never leaving. I promise you that."

It could be the fact that she's disappointed in her dad or angry at herself for ruining what she had with Josie, but she lashed out.

"Do you love him?"

The question lingered for what felt like forever.

It's the one question Hayley never dared to ask herself, in fear of the answer and what it might mean, in fear of having him break her heart again like he always does, in more ways than he'll ever know.

"I don't know what that has to do with anything."

"Really? Because I'll tell you what I know, Mom. While he cut us off out of the blue, he was fucking your dear friend Caroline. So maybe you should look after yourself instead of defending his every action."

With that, she storms out with regret for the obvious pain on her mother's features but also relief. She loved and missed her dad to a great extent, but she had absolutely no expectations for him. She's accustomed to disappointment.

Yet she felt even worse hearing her mom get into her car and drive away.

Maybe she took it too far.

***

Klaus notices that Hayley's car is nowhere to be found, which only makes him more anxious.

And when he opens the door and finally steps inside, he sees Hope's apparent indifference but also the masked fear, relief, and pain.

"Sweetheart -"

"Don't - just don't. We're not gonna do that thing where we pretend nothing bad ever happened and play happy family because we're not. Nothing can make up for the nights I spent crying because I missed you. Nothing you say will ever make up for what Mom and I went through because of you."

He walked closer to her, but she stepped back, and it broke his heart into a million pieces.

"I'm not here to sweep things under the rug. I know how much my actions hurt you and your mother, and you can't possibly imagine the guilt I carry. But you have to understand, I thought I was doing what's best for you."

She couldn't help the laugh that escaped her or the tears stinging her eyes.

"What's best for me? You really thought abandoning your family was what's best for them? Dad, I am not my mom. She may have forgiven you for all that you've done after hearing a half-assed sob story, but that doesn't work with me. So why don't you take whatever excuses you have and leave? It's what you've always done best anyway."

"Hope... love, please don't do this-"

"No, Dad, you left once. I'm pretty sure you can manage it again."

He knew there was no point in fighting a lost battle. She had every right to be furious and push him away, and he can't force her to forgive and forget. He certainly still hasn't and never will forgive himself either.