chapter 5

He ignored the four missed calls from Caroline and dialed Hayley's number instead.

Every attempt ended with him going straight to voicemail.

What Hope said still lingered in the back of his mind. For someone who swears she's nothing like her mom, she surely has so many of her traits. The thought makes him smile for a moment before it occurs to him that Hayley might be in the bayou. Anytime she was upset, she'd always head there. And that's exactly where he finds her, sitting on a bench with a beer in hand, eyes fixated on the tree with Jackson's name carved on it. He was there the night she carved it herself with tears streaming down her face. He, for some reason, remembers that night like it was yesterday. Maybe it has to do with the fact that that's the first time she ever hugged him.

He sits next to her, and she immediately wipes her tears. Without a word, he takes the bottle from her hand for a sip. She laughs, and he can't help but smile.

"What are you doing here, Klaus?"

He learned to read her like an open book, and the question of why he'd ever treat her with the tiniest bit of kindness was expected. For whatever reason, she always thought there's an ulterior motive behind his every action towards her. And he blames himself for never showing her just how much he cared for her.

"I'm here for you."

She shrugs, and it pains him that she doesn't believe him.

"Yeah, right."

"I mean it, Hayley. I was worried about you. I came home and couldn't find you, and truth be told, I needed you to be there when I have the doomed confrontation with Hope. Maybe then it wouldn't have ended up a complete disaster."

She looked at him confused and slightly startled.

"What happened? How did she react?"

"What was expected, like a teenager."

She smiled and yanked the bottle out of his hand.

"Well, you can't exactly blame her, and for what it's worth, I was also on the receiving end of her anger."

He shifted in his seat.

"Is that why you left?"

She took a big gulp of her drink before answering, avoiding his gaze.

"Yeah... I don't blame her, really. I get why she won't completely understand. It'll definitely take some time before she does, but I know she will. She loves you so much."

He was about to reach out for her hand when his phone rang again, and he cursed the blonde's impeccable timing.

"Is that her?"

Her tone was calm but slightly bitter, and he thinks it's because of her fight with Hope or maybe she's just tired. Anything but that one explanation. Anything but the thought she might care. Anything but getting his hopes up so they don't come crashing down like all their potential. Like all the wasted chances at something better.

He gently squeezes her knee.

"Yes, it's her, Caroline."

"I was surprised when she said she's staying at a hotel. Is that why she's calling you?"

It took every ounce of strength she has left not to let her voice crack.

"So you're sleeping at her house tonight?"

"No."

She finally looked at him, with a glimmer of hope in her pretty hazel eyes.

"I will be staying with my family tonight and every night to come."

She placed her hand on top of his and gave him that dear smile, the one he's always been after.

***

Her heart skipped a beat when she saw the text from Josie. She had to check it three times to make sure she wasn't dreaming. The younger witch informed her that she arrived in New Orleans and asked to meet her. With a big smile, Hope replied with the name of the restaurant she wished to meet her at.

She was pulled out of her euphoria with the sound of the front door opening. And weirdly enough, the sound of her parents' laughter. She knew she was in the wrong for what she said to her mom and had to apologize.

She heard a gentle knock on her bedroom door.

"Come in."

Klaus took an awkward step inside.

"Can we talk?"

She sighed, blinking back tears.

"Fine."

Satisfied with her answer, he smiled before closing the door and sitting on the edge of her bed.

"I know I can't make up for all the years I spent away from you, but if you let me, I'd love nothing more than to make new, happier memories with you, as a family."

"Dad... I... I really am sorry for what I said. I was dealing with some personal issues, and you were there, and... I guess I just needed someone to lash out at."

She fumbled with her bracelet before adding, with tears in her eyes, "I really missed you."

He moved to pull her into a tight hug, breathing her in. God, he missed her more than anything.

"Me too, sweetheart. More than you'll ever know."