chapter 6

He was headed to his room when he noticed Hayley on the couch, sleeping in an obviously uncomfortable position.

"Hayley, love, why don't you go to your room?" he whispered.

She murmured something in her sleep. His initial plan was to make sure she's asleep and then seek Caroline out, but before he could leave, she gently grabbed his arm.

"Stay," she faintly uttered, possibly dreaming.

That word being uttered by her specifically paralyzed him. So he sat next to her, and her head came to rest on his chest. He felt most content at that moment, with her in his arms, drooling on his shirt. His hand played with her hair, and he drifted into the most peaceful sleep he's ever had.

***

Hope definitely did not expect to wake up to her parents on top of each other, complacently sleeping. But the sight warmed her heart, and for the first time in ten years, she felt normal, happy. So she took a picture, to taunt them later or to commemorate the moment. Maybe both.

"Hey, love birds, wake up," she clapped, moving closer to them.

Hayley whined but got off the couch, cracking her neck. "God, what time is it?"

"Well, people are having lunch by now, so do your thing because I'm meeting up with a friend," she said, beaming.

"What friend?"

"Josie."

Hayley smiled. "Alright then, tell your 'friend' to come by if she wants to."

At the use of air quotes, Hope rolled her eyes. "So you and Dad can embarrass me? No thanks."

"Oh, come on. We'll behave, I promise."

The sound of his family arguing pulled Klaus out of his sleep.

"Good morning, Dad."

"I doubt it's a good morning if it starts with your mother yelling."

"I wasn't yelling!"

"Also, Hope, stop rolling your eyes at me," he laughed before standing up.

"Dad, could you please tell Mom to stop hounding me all the time?"

He shrugged. "Oh, sweetheart, I'm not stepping into whatever this is."

"I just want to meet your girlfriend. Is that so bad?"

"Wait, what?"

"Mom! I told her she's not my girlfriend!"

Klaus looked over at Hayley with a confused but amused look.

Once Hope left the house, she burst out laughing. He could listen to her ridiculous laugh all day.

"So, is she really seeing someone?"

"I guess so. She has a thing for this one girl at her school, one of Caroline's daughters actually, Josie. And she doesn't want her to come over because she's afraid we're gonna embarrass her," he laughed.

"Ah! That dreaded teenage phase where our very existence brings her shame."

Moments like these gave her so much joy, until she was hit with the reality of things. Like how she apparently can't have shit. Like when she sees Caroline's name on his screen and is reminded of who actually has his heart.

"Your girlfriend is calling you," she couldn't help but say.

"Hayley-"

"What, am I wrong? You love her."

He froze. He wanted to pull her into a kiss, tell her she's the one for him.

"Oh, please! I know it's killing you not to answer the phone and go throw yourself into her willing arms, so fucking do it."

She bit her tongue and headed to the kitchen, but he followed her.

"Do you always have to start shit for no reason? I'm trying to make this work."

"Good for you. You can go fuck her now," she retorted.

She pulled away when he stepped closer.

"Leave."

He nodded, avoiding her eyes.

"Alright, I'll be back before dinner."

"Don't bother."

His heart sank, and he left the house with the blaring sound of the door closing behind him.