Prologue

<Deathbringer>

"You're going to be reassigned."

I gripped the chair I was sitting on. Morrowseer's beady eyes stared into my soul, searching my face for any sign of weakness. My leg bounced as the air around me thinned. I bit my lip.

"If failed, your mother will be killed," Morroseer continued, pulling his gaze away from a door that led to a room. Quickstrike sat in there, chained to a chair and gagged, desperate to break free.

My jaw clenched, not pulling my gaze from Morrowseer. He was testing me. I could not be distracted so easily.

Deep down, I was losing control. I was holding back every muscle and urge to tear through that door and get my mother back, but that'd only get us both killed.

Morrowseer gruffed before pulling open a drawer and taking out a file.

"Glory Bright," he continued, sliding the folder across the table towards me. I reached over and opened it, seeing a picture of a girl with blonde hair and green eyes. She seemed young, but not much younger than me. "Her mother's a threat to our organization. If she leaks our information, all of our lives are at stake. Your assignment is to gain her trust, kill her mother, and if she knows anything, kill her, too."

I looked through her file for a moment, glancing up at Morrowseer curiously.

"Why don't I just break into her house?" I asked, wondering what Morrowseer was trying to get out of this. "Why gain her trust and waste time?" I really only wanted to get my mother out as fast as possible.

"It'll put your acting skill to use," Morrowseer said, leaning back into his seat with a nasty grin. "Not every kill is quick and easy. You'll need to practice to get better in your acting domain. I feel like this is the perfect opportunity to do so. I hear she's... tougher than most girls."

I closed the file, pulling it close to me. "So, that's it? That's all I need to do and you'll let my mother go? You swear?" He nodded, a little skeptically, but nodded.

"I'm transferring you into her school," Morrowseer said. "You will have all the same classes with her. You have five months before I kill you and send someone else to fulfill this task."

I looked back down at the file.

Glory Bright.

Let's see what you have in store for me.

<3