4| Suspicions

<Glory>

"And he was being so totally cute about it," Tsunami said, in the middle of one of her rants about Riptide. "He came up to my house with roses and chocolates and all sorts of sappy things like that, and ugh, he looked so good."

Sunny and I exchanged a look. "I'm very happy for you," Sunny said after a moment. "Sounds like Riptide's a good guy."

"Thant is an understatement," Tsunami cried. "He is a great guy."

I often hated it when Tsunami kept blabbing about her love life, knowing how badly I was struggling with mine. It took me a hot minute to decide Hailstorm was a cruel douche who totally did not deserve me. It still took a while to get over him, though, and I still often think I was in the wrong.

"If you're done fantasizing about Riptide," I said, "maybe you should acknowledge him standing right behind you." Tsunami whirled around in an instant and frowned when she realized I had deliberately lied to her. "Ha. You fell for it."

Sunny tried to muffle her giggle as Starflight fought off a smile on his face.

"Glory, I'll–" Tsunami started but was interrupted by Clay.

"Okay, Tsu, back down. Glory, leave her alone." Clay gave us both stern looks. I shrugged as I started dazing off for the twentieth time that day.

I still kept thinking about Deathbringer. A couple of days ago in the coffee shop, his first time being in there, he had said some stuff that only just now really caught my attention. He'd also said a few things when he was at my house that I couldn't seem to get off my mind.

"I'd rather bother you. Besides, you are much more interesting than all the other people."

"Especially with Glory. I just feel happier now."

"I really did like spending some time with you."

"Can we do this again, maybe?"

"This doesn't have to be pretend."

But then I also remember what he had said that I didn't really like.

"I'm just being a good actor."

He could be acting right now, pretending like he actually cares. Maybe he's slowly leading me into his trap by getting me to fall for him. It's certainly working, but I can't let him see that.

He's playing a game; I can't let him win.

As if on cue, Deathbringer came striding over to our table in the cafeteria and confidently sat down beside me. I bristled, but I didn't get up. Sunny's eyes flickered over Deathbringer for a moment before smiling.

"Hey!" she said sweetly, bringing Tsunami out of her rant as she brought her gaze to Deathbringer. "Came to visit your girlfriend?"

"Respectfully, shut up, Sunny," I said with an eye roll. "And don't even bother being friendly to him. He's not worth the energy." Deathbringer sent me a grin.

"Don't worry," Starflight said to Deathbringer. "Glory is usually this grumpy. You'll get used to it."

"I feel like you're just asking to get hit," I growled to him, and he quickly retreated.

I suddenly noticed a girl walking over to our table. Her blue eyes scanned all of us before her gaze landed on Clay. A shy smile made it to her lips as she tucked her red hair out of her face.

Peril.

Tsumani, Sunny, Starflight, and I were never too fond of Peril, and she wasn't fond of us, either. She often got on my nerves by the way she'd casually send us glares and shove past us any chance she got, all while being a perfect little angel anytime Clay was looking. It was irritating and aggravating and simply annoying.