14| Slow & Steady Wins the Race

<Glory>

"So, he told you?"

Of course, he told Sunny we kissed. He was probably acting so proud and cocky about it, too.

"Yes, and that seems to have bothered you," Sunny said, crossing her arms. "Why? Were you not ready?"

"Did he do anything to you?" Tsunami demanded, pushing forward.

"Why do you always jump to those conclusions?" I asked, looking away in an annoyed manner.

"Because the last time it happened, you didn't tell us for the months it had been occurring, so I'm right to worry." Tsunami walked up and sat beside me on my couch. "Also, you've been changing since you kissed Deathbringer."

"You keep on saying that. Also, we're taking it slow," I said, standing up. "Now stop berating me and let me go to work. Also, now I lost fifteen minutes to do my homework, so both of you are helping me out with that afterward."

"Fine," Sunny said calmly.

"Fine!" I huffed back before pushing past the both of them. "Also, when Grandeur wakes up, tell her I said bye." Without waiting for an answer, I walked out the front door and locked it shut behind me.

"*"

For the first time, Deathbringer didn't come.

I didn't know why that upset me so much, but it did and my service was slower than usual. A perk, though, was that my other employee finally decided to show her face.

"Long time no see, Rose," I murmured, wiping the counter as she prepped the coffee. "Surprised to see that you even still work here."

"Of course I do," Rose said rather rudely. "I need the money."

"You get paid months off from sleeping with the boss," I muttered. "You must need the money so badly that being a prostitute isn't so bad."

Rose lifted her gaze to glare at me. To be fair, I was being a prick for greeting her like that, but I wasn't in the mood for her rudeness or the fact that she was being treated like a princess without having to lift a finger.

"Are you calling me a whore?" Rose asked. "I'm making money--that's all that matters."

"Not if that turns our boss biased and makes working spaces for employees unfair, but sure, you're making money--that's all that matters, right?"

"What's your problem with me?" Rose asked. "You don't see my face for a few months, so what? It doesn't affect you whatsoever, so why do you care so much?"

I scoffed, slightly shaking my head as a customer walked in. I felt Rose's glare burning into the back of my head, but I pretended not to care.

I turned to the customer. "Welcome to--" Before I could finish, my hands flew to my mouth as Rose yelped.

The customer--female, perhaps mid-thirties--had a bloodied hand over her abdomen.

She was gasping and struggling to stand as she clung to the counter I had just wiped.

"Ma'am?" I cried, running around the counter toward her to help her. "What happened? Are you bleeding?"

"Of course she's bleeding!" Rose cried, also following me around the corner to assist the woman.

"Get her a chair!" I snapped to Rose as I let the woman put her weight onto me. She limped as she struggled upright, but in a moment, Rose was back with a chair anyway. The woman sat down, her voice thin and raspy.

"We need to get something to stop the bleeding," I issued before turning to face the woman. "Hey, what happened? Who did this to you?"

"The man--" the woman rasped, flinching hard when more blood gushed out of her wound.

"Okay, never mind, don't talk," I said as Rose came back with cloth. She started wrapping them around the woman's abdomen and tightly securing it.

Suddenly, the echo of what seemed to be gunshots came closer. I held my breath as I contemplated what to do next.

"*"

"What happened?" a paramedic asked Rose and me as others strapped and secured the woman onto the stretcher.

"I don't--we don't know," I said as I fidgeted with my fingers. "She just came in and was bleeding."

"Looked like a gunshot wound to me," Rose said, crossing her arms. "And we heard gunshots as well."

"They caught him," the paramedic said, nodding as he backed up and out of the shop. "Anyone else injured?"

"No," Rose and I simultaneously answered. The paramedic nodded before turning and heading out of the shop. We were questioned by a few cops after that before we were finally allowed home.

Rose rudely shoved past me, which I deserved but found rather unnecessary. I walked the rest of the way home, the cold fall breeze brushing my skin. It was chillier outside than I'd like, but the cold helped slow my racing heart.

I pulled out my phone and dialed Tsunami.

"Glory?" Tsunami asked as she picked up. "Are you walking home already?"

"Yeah," I answered, looking around at the trees. "There was an incident, so the shop will be closed for a while until further notice. I'll still be getting paid, though, which is good."

"Incident?" Tsunami echoed. "What do you mean there was an incident?"

"A shooter was in the area, and someone entered the shop hurt," I explained dismissively. "I'm fine, though, don't worry. Are you and Sunny still over?"

"Yeah, we're watching a movie with your mom," Tsunami said as Sunny's and Grandeur's voices cried, "A shooter?"

"I'm fine," I repeated, emphasizing the word to make it clear. "I won't be working for the next week or two. That's all, okay?" There was a sigh of relief on the other line. "When I get back, you and Sunny are helping with the homework, got it?"

"Roger that," Tsunami answered mockingly, and I scoffed.

"*"

I yelped as I was whirled around and pulled into a bone-crushing hug.

"Wha—" I stopped short when I realized who it was. Deathbringer. I hugged back, rather confused.

"You're okay," he breathed, and I felt him soften against me.

"Y-yes, I'm fine," I answered as he slowly pulled away. "You heard what happened?"

"Yeah," he answered, running a hand through his hair. It was on the news, but I didn't see you, so I thought..." He stared at me for a long moment before sighing.

"I'm sorry," he apologized.

"For hugging me?" I asked. "I mean, it's fine, I don't really—"

"For telling you I loved you," he said, which stopped me. I didn't say anything—I didn't know how to anymore. "I do love you—a lot—but you weren't ready and that wasn't fair to you. I see that now. I'm sorry."

I stared back at him, contemplating. I wanted to trust him.

I wanted to love him.

If only I could get that bastard out of my head.

I reached up and gently kissed his cheek. "How about we take it slow?"

He blinked back at me. "R-really? I mean, yes, of course, I'd love that."

"Great," I said, and I felt calmer. More at peace, even. If taking it slow meant we had a better shot at working out, then I was willing to do so.

"Great," he said, smiling. He leaned backward, satisfied. "Have I ever told you how beautiful you are?"

"Shut up," I snapped, rolling my eyes, but I was smiling.

Slow. We're taking it slow.

<3