Heartbreaker

It wasn't every day that a plane had to make an emergency landing on a golf course, and it wasn't everyday I was the one on call when it happened. The four of us rushed to the plane and pulled out our patient

"Does she have any history of heart problems?" Dad asked as I put an oxygen mask on her.

"No, she's only 32." Her boyfriend replied. "How does this happen?"

"Blood pressure's 80/40. Still dropping." Hen reported.

"Looks like a possible heart attack." Buck added, giving her fluids.

"Nitro, sublingual." Dad ordered.

"Hey, Abbs, I'm-I'm on a call." Buck said, picking up his phone. He paused. "Wait, wh-what stunt?" Another pause. "You faked an emergency?" He asked the boyfriend.

"I was proposing." He replied. "I thought I was being romantic."

"Guys, she's on levothyroxine." Buck said finally.

"Not a heart attack. Broken Heart Syndrome." I said, looking between each of them.

"That's what I'm thinking." Dad nodded.

"Okay, I'll get the adenosine." Hen said, already in her medbag. 

"That's a real thing?" The boyfriend asked.

D: "Mimics the symptoms of a heart attack. It was probably brought on by her thyroid medication and you nearly scaring her half to death." 

"And you don't treat it the same as a cardiac event. That nitro we almost gave her could've caused some real damage." Hen informed. 

"Good thing we had Buck's girlfriend looking out for us." I elbowed him gently.

"She's coming to," Dad said, her gasping loudly a second later.

"Good call, Abby. She's, uh, she's conscious." Buck nearly whispered into his phone.

"You're okay. Deep breaths, deep breaths." We said gently.

"Oh, baby, thank god." Her boyfriend nearly cried.

We helped her sit up slowly. 

"Wait can I see the ring again?" She asked.

"I think she's actually considering the proposal." Buck said to Abby.

He slipped the rock onto her finger, and almost too quiet to hear, she said "Yes."

"She said yes." Buck reported back to Abby.

She slapped him. Hard.

"And she smacked him." Buck added, almost causing me to laugh.

---

It was Valentine's Day, and I was currently stomping through a florist's worst nightmare; a truck wrecked on the way to make deliveries and the road was littered with roses.

"God, I hate Valentine's Day." Buck huffed. "Everywhere you look, it's perfume ads, candy ads, jewelry ads. It is a fake holiday designed by women to make guys feel guilty and go into debt."

"Valentine's Day was actually created by a man, genius. King Charles the Fifth to be exact." I said. 

B: "Well, women are at least in on it."

"Oh, how awful to have one day a year to remind men to actually care about their girlfriends. God, you are such a boy."

"Well, I know plenty of women..." Dad began, messing with the fire hydrant, "who don't like Valentine's Day and plenty of guys who love it."