Trapped

"This one's a first for me." I said as we chased a trash truck. A man called and said he was trapped inside. 

"What's this dude's problem?" Hen asked over the radio as she followed us in the ambulance.

B: "Seriously? He doesn't hear us?"

The chase had gone on for multiple blocks at this point. "We gotta get in front of him."

Buck grinned. "Okay." 

"Oh, god, of all days to let him drive." I adjusted my seatbelt to ensure it was snug against me.

He sped up and whipped infront of the truck at an angle as to block the driver from being able to move.

We rushed out of the engine, the truck's driver doing the same. 

"What the hell, guys?" He demanded.

D: "You got a guy trapped inside, inside the compactor."

"That's impossible." He said.

"He dialed 911 from inside." I stated. 

"No, I mean that's not possible. We haven't picked any garbage up yet." He explained.

"We have the wrong fucking truck." I sighed.

"What's going on?" Hen asked as her and Chim approached from around the back of the truck.

"It's the wrong truck, we gotta go." I turned. "Thank you, sorry!" I threw over my shoulder to the driver as I walked away.

B: "Y-you're doing a great job."

Dad's voice came over the radio as Buck and I climbed inside. "Dispatch this is T-118. We are at Chandler and Allott. We have the wrong garbage truck. Do you have a location for the garbage truck?"

Athena's voice responded. "This is 727-L-30. I got eyes on your garbage truck. Corner of Ventura and Stern. Search and Rescue on the way."

B: "That's, like, two blocks away."

D: "Let's go."

B: "Alright."

We made it in time to hear the end of Athena's conversation with the driver. 

"How was I supposed to know he was asleep in one of the dumpsters?" Fear sat on his face.

A: "You're not in any trouble."

D: "Did you run the compactor?"

"Yeah."

D: "What kind of pressure does it operate under?"

"I don't know, 2,000 PSI? Maybe more?"

B: "That would crush a car."

Hen climbed up the side ladder, Buck following.

"Hello?" She called. "Is anybody down there? Can you hear us?"

B: "Ooh, this stinks! People call us heroes?" 

Hen slid down into the back.

B: "Hen, hold on, it'll take forever by hand. Hey, Chim, can you grab shovels?"

I gloved up and jumped in the back, too. We threw bag after bag out. Dad and Chimney quickly joined in.

B: "So he was sleeping in a dumpster but he had a cellphone?"

C: "They give them to the homeless. It's part of the Lifeline program. It keeps them connected to family, if they have any."

We had nearly reached the bottom when Hen called out, "I got him! I see a foot!" And then, "I got a pulse!"