Chapter 2

Two months had passed since Shota had taken Izuku in, and they were the best months Izuku had since his mother's death. Shota had declared Izuku as found in the police records, as he publicly went missing after the attack. Shota had already started tutoring Izuku in what he had missed, and even hired an actual tutor for when he couldn't help. Now was Izuku's first day of his last, and as well as first, year of middle school.

He stepped through the school doors and walked over to the main office, messenger bag over his shoulder as Scarab left little room for an ordinary backpack. Once he entered, the greeter looked up and smiled. Izuku noticed her Staff ID read Ms. Bortiski.

Ms. Bortiski: "Hello! How may I help you?"

Izuku: "U-um. I'm I-Izuku Midoriya, I'm new."

She looked back to her computer and typed something on her keyboard before leaning in to read. After a second she leaned back and turned back to him.

Ms. Bortiski: "Yep! Here it says your first period is with Mr. Everstone."

Just then the door burst open and a girl Izuku's age rushed in.

???: "I'm not late am I!?"

The woman shook her head.

Ms. Bortiski: "Not today Miss. Hagakure. Though you're close. And I'm glad you popped in."

Toru: "Phew! What do you need?"

Ms. Bortiski motioned towards Izuku.

Ms. Bortiski: "This is Izuku Midoriya, he's knew. You two have first and second periods together so I'd like you to show him around. You'll be excused for being late for all but those two, okay?"

Toru nodded quickly and Ms. Bortiski handed Izuku his schedule which she had just printed. After that Toru grabbed his hand and left the office in a hurry.

Toru: "We're gonna be late!"

Izuku simply stayed quiet as she dragged him through the hallways. After a minute they reached a door, she opened it, and practically threw him inside as the bell rang.

Toru: "We're not late!"

Mr. Evertone, an American man in his late forties who was teaching English in Japan, simply chuckled and shook his head.

Mr. Evertone: "Not today. Just try not to kill the new kid okay?"

Izuku had caught himself on a desk and stood up. He looked back at the teacher who simply nodded, telling him to introduce himself. Toru walked over to her seat and sat down.

Izuku: "I'm Izuku Midoriya! I'll be with you all for the rest of the year!"

Mr. Evertone: "Are you okay with questions?"

Izuku nodded and immediately a few hands rose, one being Toru, who was the first he called on.

Izuku: "Hagakure, right?"

She nodded.

Toru: "You're new right? Did something happen at your last school?"

Izuku grew an uncomfortable smile on his face.

Izuku: "U-um. That's actually a bit too personal."

Toru: "Oh, sorry."

Izuku: "It's fine."

He then called on the next person, and answered their question.

---

Izuku was sitting on the roof of the school, eating a packed lunch that he was surprised Shota had made, given he didn't think the man could cook. While he was eating he was talking to Scarab out loud.

Izuku: "So what do you think of the school?"

Scarab: 'It is, alright. Most of the students seem to be indifferent with your sudden appearance.'

Izuku: "Most?"

Scarab: 'That Hagakure girl seems to be curious, perhaps she wants to be friends.'

This made Izuku scoff.

Izuku: "Friends? Who would want to be friends with the kid who still smells like garbage?"

Scarab: 'The stench is 93.7 perce-'

Toru: "I do!"

Izuku jumped at her sudden appearance from around the corner. She then walked over and sat next to him.

Toru: "Who were you talking to?"

Izuku: "My quirk."

She grew a confused look on her face.

Izuku: "It's complicated. The simple version is there's a sentient computer fused with my back in the shape of a scarab beetle."

Toru: "Cool!"

Izuku: "Yeah. I guess."

He then pulled out a notebook and pen and looked over a nearby railing. When she followed his gaze she saw students secretly using their quirks. She then heard him writing. When she looked at him he was focused on the students and writing something down.

Toru: "Are you gonna report them or something?"

This seemed to break him out of his focus and he looked at her.

Izuku: "No, I just like writing about quirks. Helps me know how to fight against them once I become a hero."

Toru: "You wanna be a hero too!?"

Izuku smiled and nodded.

Toru: "Sweet! Maybe we can go to UA together!"

Izuku: "Yeah, maybe. Oh! Can I write an entry on your quirk!?"

Toru: "Why?"

Izuku: "So maybe once we get in I can help you train! It'll be easier with someone else who knows your quirk like you do!"

She thought about it for a second before nodding. The rest of their lunch period was spent with them talking. Izuku was happy that he finally had a friend.