Chapter 211: Confessing The Truth

(♡)

-

Once back in the Palace, Mrs. Cessly burst into tears upon welcoming Lalisa back. She sobbed loudly while hugging her.

"My Queen, I'm so happy you're alright. I'm so happy... I was very worried thinking of what could have happened to you. Oh, God, what happened to your hands?"

The sight of Mrs. Cessly, whose eyes were swollen and red from crying so much, made Lalisa tear up as well. Once more, she realized the importance of having someone like Mrs. Cessly by her side.

Mrs. Cessly immediately went to call for a doctor so he could check Lalisa's wounds. The treatment was simple. The doctor carefully removed the wood shards from Lalisa's hands and then proceeded to clean and disinfect the area. Mrs. Cessly would anxiously look at the doctor from time to time, and only when he assured her that both mother and child were safe did she let out a relieved sigh.

"In any case, my Queen, you must be exhausted after what happened today. You should go to bed early, rest and..."

"Actually, Mrs. Cessly, I have a few things I need to discuss with the King."

Lalisa looked at Jungkook, who silently nodded. Mrs. Cessly realized they had some important personal issues to talk about, so she didn't complain and simply stood aside.

"Alright. But if you feel any discomfort during your talk, you must rest. Think of the baby, please."

Lalisa had to reassure her many times that she'd be careful with her health. Only then did Mrs. Cessly leave the room.

Lalisa and Jungkook sat on the receiving room of the Queen's Palace. They sat there, together, without saying anything. When the tea in front of them grew cold, Igor finally parted his lips.

"I'm not so sure where to start. But I suppose I should tell you about Roseanne first..."

Lalisa could sense that a misunderstanding had happened, but she still felt scared of what he'd tell her.

"I basically spread rumors about an affair with Roseanne." Lalisa looked at him surprised, he so quickly added "Please, don't get me wrong. What I mean to say is, it was only that, rumors. I never had any physical contact with Roseanne. The rumors of me sleeping with her were all made up by her. I did encourage these rumors, though..."

Then, the long story started to unfold. Jungkook explained to Lalisa why he'd allowed the rumors of his affair with Roseanne to spread. He explained that since Lalisa couldn't have children, his mother pressured him to use Roseanne as a surrogate womb. But instead of following her orders, Jungkook tried discouraging the Queen Mother by spreading the rumor of Roseanne being his lover.

"Why didn't you tell me that?"

Lalisa reprimanded him with resentment in her voice. Had she known this, she wouldn't have suffered so much thinking that her husband was having an affair with her step-sister.

Jungkook lowered his head.

"I thought that's what you wanted, too. After you asked me to dance with her, I thought you agreed with my mother's request and therefore there wasn't any need to speak further of the plan."

"The reason why I asked that of you was for the sake of Roseanne's status. No one at the ball would have asked her for a dance. Also, there's the old tradition that if someone does not have a partner for the first dance, a member of the Royal Family should offer to dance with that person. Of course, it was my father who suggested that, but I never..."

Lalisa quickly stopped talking. She couldn't really blame him for not telling her the truth. Their relationship back then wasn't optimal, so they never really talked openly. If she had asked him first, he would have answered her honestly. In the end, they were both to blame.