4.

Lucky purred in her sleep, chasing brown hares. She never caught them; her legs were too short, and they outran her. Lucky swiped at the short fluffy tail before her and ripped out bushy hazel hair. Lucky's legs grew endlessly tired, and she strained to continue running. Unfortunately, a jagged stone jammed into her paw, and she felt blood running down her foot. She stumbled as the pain threw her away from her prey and carried her down. Lucky mewled, dragging her injured pad over to bathe it in comforting licks, squeaking when the lifeblood sizzled on the tip of her tongue. Lucky lapped her paw furiously, not noticing a shadow looming over her. The figure had glowing, mellow eyes that seemed kind at first sight. Lucky finally peered up when the cat touched her tail, his auburn fur bristling. Lucky sighed in relief when she met his gaze, returning to washing her paw. The cat leaned closer until she felt his smoky breath in her ear. Lucky stormed, her fur bushing up.

"I will never let you win. This battle will be won by me, and you will fall just as I hoped you would.  Don't underestimate me; I'll always be stronger." Lucky shivered at the strange words.

"What do you mean? Who are you?" Lucky questioned, but the cat and her dream were fading. Lucky thrashed her paws, trying to regain the vision, but it faded quickly. Lucky awoke in the mountains, curled in a ball. She stretched in the tiny space she had. Her stomach rumbled like an earthquake, and she remembered how hungry she was. Lucky stared up in disappointment, knowing she couldn't climb the mountains. I have to find food. Lucky longed for home for once; she missed Ethan's crying and Pearl's fluffy fur getting in her eyes. She closed her eyes, regretting leaving for a second before following the path down the mountain. It was a ravine with thin ledges on the side for walking. Spongy moss dotted the trail, making every step humid. Lucky padded onward, sticking to the rocks. She stopped abruptly when the track dived into the mist below. Long, gnarled tree branches gripped the mountains. Lucky crouched, feeling smaller than ever. She looked for another way to get across, but her eyes rested on a few flush berries. Lucky beamed and jumped onto the branches, surprised to find how frail they were. She held on carefully, creeping along the leaves until she sat on the branch with the berries. She licked her lips, watching the sunlight glisten on the berries' bright side. She leaped, catching a single stem in her paw. She shrieked as it broke off with a single berry, crashing down into the stones. Lucky folded her eyes, hoping everything would be ok. She heard a new voice.

"Maybe you'll be chosen?" Lucky snapped open her eyes. She was lying on the ground, smushing ferns under her weight. The cause of the voice was gone, just an echo in her head. Lucky scoured for the berries, relieved when she found it under a root. She lifted it to her maw and was about to pop it in her mouth when it disappeared. She whined.

"You can't eat that! It's poisonous!" Lucky turned to the voice. A colossal hawk hovered behind her; the berry gripped in its talons. Lucky felt shocked and devastated at the same time.

"But-But I'm so hungry." She pleaded, voice weak. The hawk looked empathic, nodding in return. 

"You look so young. Why aren't you eating more?" He asked, tipping his head. Lucky didn't respond, only looking away. Her throat was dry, and it screeched in pain. She couldn't bring up words, only a squeak. "How about I bring you to my food storage? I have plenty to spare." Lucky eyes lit up, and she wiggled her short tail. "I'm assuming that's a yes? Follow me; I have plenty of berries for you." Lucky bounded through the trees, pacing over pinecones. She shuffled through leaves, but the hawk always slowed down for her when she got tired. Lucky was panting by the time the hawk stopped again. "I'll carry you." Lucky mewed when his needle-sharp nails sunk into her shoulders. She flailed as clumps of her fur were torn out, and she was hoisted into the air. Her legs dangled, brushing the grass. Great, dusty wings beat the air beside her and soon began to soar through the trees. Lucky felt a thrill fill her as the wind whipped her whiskers against her face. Eventually, Lucky was dropped beside a tall birch tree. The hawk glanced down at her, perching on a low branch. "Stay there." Lucky watched him glide into the endless towering leaves; his wings whipped the branchlets. Lucky lowered onto the detritus, groaning because everything ached. She closed her eyes, pressing against the rough bark. I guess I'll join Magma Bubbles, Lucky thought. "Get up, little kitten! I have food!" Lucky exhaled when she opened her eyes and saw a cluster of small berries. Lucky lapped them up greedily, ignoring the pain in her stomach as she ate rapidly. She searched the sprigs for scraps, but no more remained. Lucky peered at the hawk, dipping her head.