14.

What could go wrong?

The thought echoed in Lucky's mind. It sent a shudder creeping along her hair, but Lucky pushed it away. She knew this would be a great idea, as it wasn't breaking the rules but also an effective way to stop table tennis balls from bouncing past. She lifted her paddle as far as her arms would allow and began spinning in circles. She knew she'd hit most of the balls that flew past her, but it was easy to become dizzy. Finally, she screeched when something slammed against her head. With a groan, Lucky collapsed. She muffled a painful cry as her forehead collided with something broad and pierced into her. Blood welled down her face as Lucky slumped onto the floor, her head spinning. Lucky swished her tail over her eyes to clear the aching pain from her vision and tried to stand. She blinked once, horrified when she couldn't see. I can't see! Lucky wanted to shout, but she was too weak. Instead, Lucky opened her mouth and attempted to find her voice.

"I..." Lucky murmured, her legs shaking. She cracked under the poor weight her legs sustained, and her muzzle thumped on the dirt. She whimpered, and a force pressed her down when she tried to stand again. A presence stood above her and crouched, their breath stirring Lucky's ear fur.

"You idiot. You're lucky to be alive! After all, that is your name." She jerked, flailing her paws to send the figure away. 

"Lea..." Lucky gasped for air, unable to speak. "Go away..." Stardust scattered over her paws when she raked them over something, and then she sighed in relief. 

"Don't give me that "go away" phrase. What on earth motivates you to injure yourself so much?" The voice changed, and Lucky strained to recognize it. "Hold this." Lucky's felt a cluster of ferns squeeze under her jaw, and she opened her mouth to rest her throbbing maw on it. She raised her head, sure she was glaring at the creature before her.

"I'm fine." She muttered, biting back a yowl from the pain.

"Fine? You almost broke your jaw!" They snapped. She shook the dust off her navy blue suit and jumped to her feet.

"See, look, I'm fine." She complained, regaining sight. Lucky suppressed a sigh when she noticed Puddles glowering at her, his gray eyebrows narrowed. He face-palmed, shaking his head.

"Don't you care that your mouth is bleeding?" He glanced disapprovingly at Lucky's scarf as a bead of russet blood dripped onto it and streamed off. Lucky puffed out her chest.

"I'm Lucky the Cat! I can do it!" She cheered herself on. Puddles rolled his eyes and stepped backward.

"Off you go then. But be careful." Puddles stormed away, his tail lashing in a fury. Lucky twisted back to see the Tengu peering at her. She made a gesture to continue, and he lifted three balls out from under the table and tossed them. Lucky swerved around, trying to hit them back all at once. She developed a rhythm across the field as the number of balls grew and their speed increased. It was harder to play this time, she worried about her bleeding jaw, but she couldn't risk a lecture from Puddles. She received three points trying to reach them all simultaneously, but Lucky knew she needed a better plan. She would move around the playing field in a cycle, though she'd miss a few; it would be a good strategy. By instinct, the cycle fit perfectly. She liked moving around constantly and not having to reach out so far. And soon after...

Lucky: 29/30 [] Tengu: 29/30

This was nothing compared to the Komainus. They were good, but the champion was a master. If a ball accidentally slipped past her, it would be losing. She had to focus and pray that the petal didn't make an appearance. Lucky decided to use all the energy crammed inside her and do a "power shot." Lucky planted her feet on the ground, and her eyes locked onto the ball. She leaped as soon as it crossed the net, craning backward until the sun's rays hit her eyes. She slammed her paddle down, creating a shockwave of power. It rippled toward the balls and thrust them backward. Lucky's jaw dropped.