34.

"What?" Lucky, Treasure, and Smores gasped in unison. Dusk just sighed and twisted her head away.

"Yeah! A raccoon in a kettle showed up, and everyone was amazed by his skateboarding skills! They want him to be the new champion!" The cub bounced around Lucky, beaming. 

"Brindle didn't have an apprentice...." Treasure murmured.

"That means...oh." His gaze traveled to Dusk. "Dusk, you have to pick the new champion."

"I don't want to." She rasped angrily.

"C'mon!" The dingo protested. He bowed toward the door and trotted to the dim entrance.

"Fine." Dusk touched her kits briefly with her nose, then stood up, limping. Lucky stepped over to help her walk, but Dusk shrugged her away. "I can do it myself." Lucky's heart sank as she left the room into the rain. Water washed over Dusk's back, cleaning the wound on her back and the blood around her backside.

"Do you remember me? I'm Bright." The cub barked, trying to jump onto Lucky's shoulders.

"Yes, I do." Lucky crouched so Bright could climb onto her back. "Were you safe during the battle?"

"For most of it, I hid the Cave of Ancestors. Imagine how shocked I was to hear that a ton of dead cats were watching over us!" Bright exclaimed. As they approached the gully near the Main Plaza, Dusk tried to climb the soil lumps. She struggled even more than she did when they were leaving the cave, and she collapsed, panting and whimpering. 

"Do you need help?" Lucky asked her. Dusk shook her head quickly and leaped onto the first grip. Lucky let Bright slide off, and she pressed against Dusk so she could haul herself to the top. As soon as Dusk was able to make the rest of the distance on her own, Lucky darted down and joined the crowd glaring up. Dusk emerged from the top, looking weak.

"She used to be such an energetic cat. Her life really went downhill, didn't it?" Lucky heard an animal whisper into her ear and recognized the voice of Ayano.

"Because of you." Lucky saw a badger lumbering away after those chilling words entered her other ear, and Lucky immediately felt as if she was responsible for this.

"Everyone. It has been brought to my attention that the raccoon in the back has proposed an offer to be the new champion. Now I must app-"

"No one cares about your opinion!" A goat shouted.

"We want Tanuki to be the champion!" Hiro snarled.

Dusk lowered her head to soak in the shame as creatures screamed insults at her. "If you really want, he can be the champion." The angry cries stopped as everyone was pleased. Tanuki dipped his head.

"Thank you, Dusk. I'm sorry for the behavior of everyone." He apologized. Dusk muttered something inaudible, then collected herself and stood taller.

"I have another announcement." She bellowed. "The calico cat, Lucky, in the crowd is very special. I'm sure you've all heard of the prophecy by now." Ripples of agreement passed through the gathered residents, and Lucky felt like her pelt was engulfed in flames. "But none of you know this. I've known Lucky since I was a kitten. I met her when her name was Moonlight, and she told me, "Someday, you will foretell a prophecy on your own. You'll get it and be afraid of what may come." Moonlight foretold me the prophecy she was the key cat in." Tears dripped from Dusk's face as she glowered at Lucky. 

Lucky reached a paw to steady her heart. Her jaws dropped, and she began to quake. Everyone was staring at her, and Lucky couldn't bare it. She covered her ears with her pads, attempting to block out the memories of all her past lives. No, no... Lucky begged. Please let this be a dream! Lucky pushed through the crowd and fled into the underbrush, ignoring the eyes burning into her coat. 

"Wait!" Dusk yowled, pain visible in her voice. Before Lucky could get any further, Dusk barreled into her. Lucky collapsed as Dusk pinned her to the bracken.

"Let me go!" Lucky snapped.

"No! Lucky, you have to calm down." Dusk pleaded, panting.

"Don't call me Lucky! I'm just an echo of Moonlight!" Lucky kicked violently, but Dusk dodged her blows.

"Please. Moonlight was a good cat, and it's natural for you to move to the next life." Dusk cooed. "Listen. When you die, you will be Lucky in the spirit world. You will remember all of your previous lives, so just accept it."

The words seemed to soothe Lucky for a second; Dusk noticed she wasn't tense anymore, letting her up. Lucky brushed off the dust from fur, taking a deep breath. "Maybe you're right."

Author's Note:

Two more chapters left of this book! The Epilogue and Lucky leaving the island!