. . . Chapter Two. . .

Fable knew instantly that the two things before him were dragons, and that those dragons were LeafWings, and those LeafWings were Sundew and Willow. He had read Wings of Fire too many times to not have every little detail about each dragon memorized.

But... how am I HERE?  Fable asked himself incredulously. He pushed his thoughts aside as he focused his attention on the dragons in front of him. They hadn't yet noticed him, as they were locked in an embrace that reminded him of the one at the end of Chapter Six. In fact... Fable looked around. There was no mistaking that they were at the pond in the book, and the events of Chapter Seven were beginning.

Fable gasped. He had always dreamed of being able to talk to these characters and warn them of the bad things ahead. Now he could likely do just that!

Fable turned his focus back to the LeafWings and listened as they began talking. Although, he was certain he knew exactly what they were going to say.

"You were gone forever!" The lighter of the two exclaimed, taking the other's front talons. "I have so much to tell you! I've been waiting and waiting and checking the boulder every night and it was dreadful and I didn't like it and let's never do that again!"

Fable stopped listening as their conversation continued to exactly where he knew it would. It's not that he wasn't interested; he was, really he was. He was just a tad bit distracted thinking of how he might be able to help them. He knew that if he let the events of the book play out how they would otherwise, it would work out eventually, but he knew how everything worked! Would it be bad if he interfered and helped the dragons defeat the othermind early? Although, now that he was thinking about it, he did want to see Phyrria as well...

Fable had been trapped in his thoughts for quite a while, and looked up to see the faces of two LeafWings he knew well staring straight at him.

"Who are you, and how long have you been here?" Sundew hissed, flicking her tail at him. Fable blinked in surprise. He was a lot taller than he knew humans were compared to dragons. That couldn't be right. Unless.. he flicked his tail.

YES! Fable was happy beyond all means. HE WAS A DRAGON! A LeafWing, from the looks of it, he realized, looking down at his front legs. He looked back up and saw Sundew, then realized she was still waiting for a response. He had no clue if Sundew and Willow had finished their conversation or not. Not, he guessed, as he scanned the clearing and didn't see Sequoia anywhere.

"Uhm, I'm... Fable," he answered, deciding to be completely truthful. He definitely wanted to be on their good side. 

"Oh, I think I've seen you around before," Willow chimed in softly. "But I don't know your name, which is unusual for a village as small as ours."

"And what are you doing here?" Sundew demanded. Fable should have known that wouldn't be enough for this stubborn character he loved.

"Ehm... sitting by the lake?" Fable said questioningly, unsure just what counterargument Sundew could come up with this time.

"Fable... that's a nice name. Very poetic. I like it." Willow added in that calm voice of hers, ignoring her girlfriend's questioning.

"Well, no dragon, even a poetic one, can interrupt my time with this dragon and get away with it," Sundew snarled, twining her tail with Willow's. Willow stepped closer to Sundew but look rather embarrassed.

"Sundew, be nice, he's just a LeafWing out for a walk. There's no need to be so harsh," Willow scolded her love.

Just then, a dragon emerged from the trees behind the three LeafWings. Half a horn, an ear, and part of a tail missing, and with the elegant way she held herself, Fable knew without a doubt that this was most definitely Sequoia.

[] 673 words []