Chapter 5

That same morning, Flora woke up and looked around. She could still smell the sent of the cigarette she smoked the night before, which made her remember that she had a boy over.

"I actually did that? And he actually didn't run away? How was that not a dream?" She kept asking herself.

She looked at the time: 8:36am. "Late again. What a surprise." She thought.

Her face then lit up, having a devious idea.
Running to her drawer, she took a pair of scissors on her way.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I was walking back to the gang with Soda, eating our fries and drinking our coke. I liked feeling the sun on the top of my head, the heat made me feel so relaxed. Soda wasn't talking either, mostly because he was constantly stuffing his face with his burger. It was about 9 or 10am, I assumed that Flora was most likely at school by now.

I was so caught up in my thoughts, I didn't realised that I almost ran into a trash can.
"Wake up, dreamer! You're like my kid brother now!" Soda laughed.

"Kid brother yourself, Curtis! Have you seen the way you eat?" I replied with a laugh.

Soda purposely bumped into me, and I did the same. It was nice to hang out with him, he was always so jolly.

His eyes then locked onto the corner of a street. He whistled.

"Ga-lly! I've never seen a girl like that before!"

I wondered what he ment, he told me earlier that he loved his girl, and now he's looking at another one from across the street.

"What are you talkin' abo- " I started.
I couldn't finish. The girl was wearing tight black jeans, a shirt showing all of her skinny stomach, cherry red lips, a jean sleeveless jacket and poofy hair as dark as a stallion's mane.

"W-... W-... F-Flora? " I stuttered, ever so confused.

"THAT'S your girl?! Phew! Ya got high standards, Taffy Starr!" Soda laughed, shaking me from left to right.

I couldn't believe it. Flora, the soc, the girl who smoked her first cigarette last night, was a few feet away from me, dressed like the baddest of all girls in town.

I think she recognised me, since when she looked over to us, she tilted her head a bit, like she always did when she was surprised.

"Let's go great her, ey Taf?" Soda said, running over to her side of the road.
I followed, still dumfounded.

"Hey, Flora, right? " he shouted for everyone to hear.

Flora barely flinched. "Yeah. What do you want."

She layed her eyes on me again. "Feelin' any better?" She asked.

"Yeah, just trying not to do big movements." I said with a slight smirk in sight.

"Tsk."

"I don't mean to interrupt this moment, but aren't you... Uh.. You know, a soc?" Soda said, scratching the base of his neck.
She grimaced to the word.

"So? Can't socs get days off too? " she said. I could tell she had more to say, her fists were clenched solid.

"Whoa, whoa, back away tiger lily! I was just askin'!" Soda said.

"Let's just change subjects, alright? Let's go to-" I started.

Flora looked at the distance and cursed.
"Why did they have to take a day off too..." She whined a little, but still keeping her serious face.

A group of laughing soc boys were walking in a line, beer bottles in hand.

"Why them? Why does this keep happening to me, god damnit!!!" Flora shouted. She looked very angry, it was weird to see her like that.

"Dear lord, who are those guys who can make you in this mood?" Soda said, startled like me.

"Dirty soc boys... They almost chocked me out yesterday because I stood up to them... And it wouldn't surprise me if they'd try again." She said, her teeth gritted together she was so angry.

"Not if Taffy over here stands up for you, ey Taf? He's the best with a switchblade!" Soda said proudly.

I got scared she would back away as soon she heard the word "switchblade" like every other girl. But she just thought for a moment. Then, she looked up at me and said "Sure. Give 'em all ya got." with a grin.
I tried hard not to look baffled, cause I had never heard that before.

"Hey, it's like you're already one of us!" My buddy said, tapping her on the shoulder.
Flora was trying to hide a smile, and I was trying to not let my jaw drop to the ground.
"What's wrong? Did the the cat eat your tongue?" The girl said, crossing her arm with a smirk in sight.

"Hum, uh, no, I was just thinking." I said, taking my switchblade out and hiding it in my hand.

Soda nudged me and I pushed him off. My brain was still processing what was going on. But it always coming back to that one thought: "She's... Perfect!..."

I got interrupted by a shout coming from the boys. "Well well well. Isn't it the Greaser freak with her new best friends."

"Sorry what did you say? I can't understand what you're sayin', all I can hear is drunken voices." Flora said, her clenched fists on her curvy hips.

The boys started surrounding us, still laughing. Soda took out his blade, and so did I. I didn't like it when I was outnumbered, but I still had to show that I wasn't scared of these scums.

"I think we're gonna have a lot of fun..." The main soc said, looking down at Flora.

Flora hissed at him.
"I'll be the judge of that, Social Brat..."