Chapter 6

The soc pulled his arm back to punch her, but I quickly jumped and tripped him before he could lay a finger on her.

Another took a hold of her hair and yanked her back, making her let out a small shout of pain. She stomped on his foot with her pointy heel, and I'm pretty sure I saw some blood come out.

I was too busy with that boy that I was pinning down on the ground. I was taller than him, which helped a lot. But he was still strong. Soda was taking care of two other socs that were trying to get him on the ground, and Flora got out of the guy's grip, and punched him in the throat, then in the stomach. The soc fell on the ground, curled up.

She ran over to Soda's side, since he was two against one. She kicked one of them in the shin then jumped onto him, her arm around his neck. He tried really hard to get a hold on her, but every time his hand was near her, she bit it so hard, it would leave a bruise there for days.

I kneed the soc I was pinning in his sensible region, then ran over to Flora. The boy she was strangling was almost blue, and Sodapop's opponent had a bleeding nose. I took Flora by the arm and started running, cause it wasn't a good idea to stay around a fight scene for too long. Soda knew what I was doing, so pushed the soc to the ground and catched up to us easily.

We stopped in a park, and Flora fell to her knees. I looked at her, worried.

"It's.. Okay... I just.. Don't run a lot... Especially in heels..." She said with a hint of a snicker at the end, catching her breath.

I looked over at my shoulder. I cursed, seeing that my wound started bleeding again.

Flora looked over. "Oh lordy. How many times am I gonna have to patch you up." She joked. "You remember the drill."

I looked over at Soda, my eyes saying "go, go! This is my chance". Soda smiles widely. " well... Darry would get mad if I stayed out here without warning... I'll see you later, Taff, and hopefully I'll see you some other time!" He said motioning the girl that was walking closer to me. Flora waved goodbye and smiled, looking back at me. I hope she didn't notice how pink my cheeks had turned.

Girls like me. I mean, they think I'm nice looking and all, but they also take pity on me because I don't talk, 'cause they think I'm shy. That's not true. I'm equally as brave all the other greasers. I just don't like talking, that's all. But Flora... Boy was she ever so different than ANY other girl. I wanted to talk. I needed to talk.

I took off my shirt and she wiped away the blood on my arm. I looked at her and tried to put on a smile.

"Aren't you supposed to be at school?"

She chuckled softly. "Yeah, sure. Like I'm gonna go back there. "

"What? You look smart." I tried to reason with her. "I'm sure you do good."

She stopped. She looked away and sighed. "I guess I do make good grades...... When I'm able to concentrate... Which is basically never in my book. Plus, those guys will most likely kill me if ever go near them again..."

I looked at her. She was troubled about something, and I wanted to know what. I wanted to know all about this girl.

"Flora, tell me what's wrong. I can tell there's somethin' behind those words. " I said with my sweetest voice.

"It's just my parents, Taff. Nothin' to worry about."

"You never know with me. You're not the only different one." I said, laughing a little.

She looked down at me. She looked so... Hopeful. Like she never heard those words before.

"Thanks, Taff... You're a great pal..." She said, very quietly.

(( BOOM!!! FRIENDZONE! Oops, sorry, I'll leave now...))

I snickered. "Yeah... Pal..."

She finished patching me back up with some new bandages while I was looking at her without her even noticing. Once done, I got up and asked.

"Well, I'm thirsty. Care to get a drink, greaser?" I said, friendly bumping into her. She Tsk'ed me and nodded. We headed to the nearest corner store, her head on my shoulder, not a word spoken out loud.