002-why the rush?

CARLA'S MORNING HAD STARTED OFF NORMALLY.

As she did every morning, she found herself in the kitchen, sitting on the counter with a bowl of cereal in her hands.  It was still decently early—about nine-thirty in the morning—meaning everything was still relatively quiet.

Nancy had been gone for the night, more than likely staying with Jonathan—something she did more often now—and Mike had gone down to the basement, where he spent most of his days anyway.  Holly was changing in her room, preparing to go to the pool with her mother, Karen, who was packing a swim bag for herself and the girl, and Ted had gone off to work.  Everything was normal.

That was until the phone rang.

Carla had been the one to get it, setting down her bowl and hopping off the counter, her mother sending a thankful smile as she picked it up, "Wheeler residence, Carla speaking."

"Hi, Carla." The voice that came through belonged to Eleven, and rather than her usual soft tone, the girl sounded rather upset and impatient. "Is Mike there?"

Carla recalled the fact that usually, her brother was out of the house by now, biking to the cabin.  Though she didn't know the schedule they shared, by the impatient and seemingly upset tone of the girl, she concluded Mike indeed was supposed to be with her. Clearly not.  "Yeah, he's still here."

"Can I talk to him?"

"Of course, give me a minute." the Wheeler pulled the phone away from her ear, handing it over to her mother so she could walk over to the basement door.  Once the elder woman grabbed it, Carla opened the door, calling down for the boy, "El's on the phone!"

"Shit." Mike hissed out before yelling back up, trying to act as normal as possible. He knew if Carla found out he was lying to Eleven—who'd already been lied to for most of her life—he'd be in for a lifetime. "Okay!"

Carla didn't miss the exclaim he'd let out, and her brows knitted together as she shut the door to the basement.  Something was clearly off.  Mike never sounded so worried or scared about a call from Eleven—usually he was on the phone before his sister could even finish her sentence.  Whether or not he'd just experienced his first actual fight with his girlfriend, or had somehow messed up, Carla didn't know.  She'd ask about it later.

When she returned to her cereal, Karen had the phone up to one ear, listening in to Mike's conversation.  She'd always been slightly nosy, especially when it came to her kids lives—yet Carla supposes it's their fault.  Mike, Carla and Nancy rarely tell Karen what happens on the daily, so she's left to find out herself.  

What she found out must not have been good, as within a few moments, she exclaimed, "What?"

"Mom! Get off the phone! How many times?" Mike's voice was heard next.

"Did Nana call?" Karen yelled back, both concern and confusion laced in her expression.  Carla set her bowl down on the counter, eyeing her mother suspiciously.  What was going on that involved Nana? Or was Mike lying to cover something up from his mother?

"No, Mom! Just get off the phone!"

Karen finally set down the phone, letting out a scoff as she did.  The brunette girl took this as her chance to question, asking, "Is everything okay, Mom?" 

The blonde woman gave an exasperated look, "I-I don't know. I have to get to the pool, ask about Nana, will you?"

"Yeah, sure..." Carla trailed off, watching Karen go up the stairs, coming back down with the youngest Wheeler.  She then left the house, leaving Carla completely clueless of to what the phone call had been about.