010-the sauna

CARLA WAS SCARED.

Standing with Max's arm around her waist, she could do nothing but watch what was happening, and honestly, she was pretty scared of what was happening, of what could happen if they didn't do something different.

Billy's grunts of frustration echoed through the small room as he threw himself at the bolted door, the chains shaking with every slam. As Max helped Carla get to the center of the room—she still couldn't properly walk, whether it be her legs or exhaustion—the Wheeler couldn't help but think of the possibility of Mike's plan failing—of Billy breaking past the chains and the lock.

She didn't want to find herself fighting against Billy again.....but it was a possible outcome, especially if he was granted with the Mind Flayer's strength.

Suddenly, Billy's grunts stopped and he fell quiet, face right up against the small glass window of the door. His eyes scanned around the small group, landing on his sister. "Max."

Max hesitated for a moment. She didn't want to hurt Billy; even if he was a total asshole, he was her brother. But then again, the boy in the sauna wasn't her brother. No, the boy in the sauna was the Mind Flayer's version of her brother, a cruel and emotionless version the boy she knew.

So, with determination, Max said, "Do it."

Getting the clear, Will ran up to the dial that controlled the sauna's temperature, turning it until it reached the highest setting. Even though she was still slightly unsure on what was happening, Carla had a good idea of the plan. The party knew Billy was flayed, and were going to burn it out of him, just as they'd done the year prior with Will.

It didn't take long for Billy to feel the heat start to increase, and he started to yell once more, the Mind Flayer inside of him becoming more irritated with the change in temperature. The lifeguard yelled towards his sister, the one person he knew he could get to with enough yelling, "Max! Let me out of here! Let me out. " His breath fogged up on the glass, eyes scanning over the group of kids, as well as Carla. "You kids.......Carla........You think this is funny?"

Max's grip on the Wheeler tightened as the boy continued to say, "You kids think this is some kind of sick prank, huh? You think you're protecting Carla?" She sharply inhaled at the mention of her name, the boy spitting on the glass window in return, "You little shits think this is funny?"

"What is this?" Billy was getting angrier as he spoke, and moved his face right up against the window. His voice was threatening, as if he was giving a final warning before unleashing hell upon the group of six, "Open the door." He slammed himself against the door, causing Carla to flinch in fear. "Open the door! Open the door! Open the goddamn door!"

When no one moved a muscle, Billy fell down to the floor, beginning to scream and slam his hands down on the floor tiles. In all seriousness, he reminded Carla of a toddler having a fit—except it was going to take a lot more than just a teddy bear to calm him back down.

Will walked back up, pointing at the thermometer above the dial, "We're at 220."

As he returned back to place beside Mike, sobs began to echo through the room, causing everyone to look at one another with confusion. Billy never cried—he let his emotion out in rage instead of tears—and if he were to break down, it definitely wouldn't be in a room full of people. Something wasn't right.

"It's not my fault." Billy's cries came through next, his voice strained and broken, just like Carla's, "It's not my fault. It's not my fault, Max. I promise you, it's not my fault." Even more unease began to fill Carla's thoughts as she listened to his pleas. Billy didn't plea for shit—and certainly not through tears.