003-secrets spilled

CARLA HADN'T SMILED SO MUCH IN ONE AFTERNOON.

Watching Eleven gaze at everything in sight, touch all the fabrics as if they were something of a different world—which to her, they truly were—was something special.  Carla's lips turned upwards every time the Hopper girl was mesmerized by an item, which was once every few minutes.

The first store they stopped in was The Gap—per Max's request.  Eleven was quick to run her hands along everything, stopping when her eyes caught hold of mannequin dressed in blue shirt with white, red and yellow stripes strewn across it—almost like they had flicked paint upon the shirt and called it finished.

"Do you like that?" Max asked the girl.

"How do I know...what I like?" Eleven questioned.

"You just try things on. Until you find something that feels like you."

"Like me?"

Max nodded, "Yeah.  Not Hopper, not Mike. You."

Taking those words to heart, Eleven started to try on colorful outfits of all kids—outfits that were much more eccentric than the over-sized flannel and white pants she'd arrived in.  Starting with the blue shirt she'd originally been drawn to, Carla found a pair of yellow pants with red suspenders that matched, which she tried on.

Checking herself over in the mirror, Max handed her a yellow beret that would match her pants, to which the girl sat on her head, the item covering her face.  Carla gave a light laugh and came forward, adjusting the beret so it was correct.

Eleven then picked out a similar outfit, this one a slightly loose white t-shirt and matching skirt with the same splattered paint pattern—in the same colors as well.   Max held up two belts, trying to decide whether the yellow or red fit better, and El was quick to pick the yellow one.  With Carla's help, she put it on and began to spin around, eventually stumbling back into Max's arms from dizziness.

She found another outfit and ran back to the changing rooms, leaving the two other girls to browse for a moment.  Max tried on multiple different sunglasses, returning with a cherry red pair—a color that suited her well—and Carla found a small ring that caught her eye.

Running back out dressed in a black romper with colorful shapes all over it, Eleven took to the mirror with a huge smile; this was the one.  Carla gave a nod, and she almost felt like a proud mother as she watched El style her hair.

Pleased with the romper, Carla pulled out her wallet and paid for everything, the three walking out with their arms linked, wearing each of their new items.  

Next was the Flash Studio, where the two teens rushed to put on the most eccentric outfits they could find, Carla holding the bag with Eleven's previous clothes inside.  With non stop laughing, the girls allowed the camera man to snap photos of them, changing outfits every few pictures.   After a couple, Eleven ushered Carla to join, which she did, wrapping a feathered boa around her neck and putting a colorful beret on her head.  She stood in between her two friends, smiling and striking dramatic poses with the two, like they did on the magazine covers.

Grabbing their photos, Max and El made a beeline for the shoe store.  Eleven quickly found a colorful pair of heels, finding the right size—with the help of the Mayfield—and placing them on her feet.  Since the heel was too thin—too thin for someone who'd never worn a heel before—she held on to her friend to keep from falling, which she eventually ended up doing anyway.