007-into the vents

ROBIN RETURNED THIRTY MINUTES LATER.

After a half hour spent waiting for her to reappear, a half hour in which Carla spent sat at the Scoops counter watching her boyfriend serve customers, she rushed into her place of employment, sheets of paper in hand.

"It's fascinating what 20 bucks will get you at the Country Recorder's office."  Robin spoke as Carla, Steve and Dustin followed her to the backroom, crowding around the small table as she set down blueprints, "Starcourt Mall. The complete blueprints."

Dustin sent an approving look, "Not bad."

"So, this is us, Scoops—" The Buckley pointed out where they currently sat on the map, moving her fingers up towards where they were trying to go, "—and this is where we want to get."  Her fingers sat on an area in which the group wouldn't be able to get into.  

Steve stated the obvious, "I mean, I don't really see a way in."

"There's not." Robin replied, flipping the inside-the-mall blueprint over to reveal another set of blueprints, one which consisted of air ducts and vents instead of doors and other obvious openings, "If you're talking exclusively about doors."

"Air ducts." Dustin exclaimed.

"Exactly." Robin smiled, proud of herself for figuring out a way inside.  She then walked away grabbing a dry-erase marker before returning, drawing a line that led from Scoops to the secret room using the air ducts, "Turns out, this secret room needs air just like any old room.  And these air ducts lead all the way here."

While not totally onboard with the whole Russian idea, Carla was proud of the girl for moving them one step closer to solving this case.  Crossing around the Buckley, she squeezed the girls shoulder, "Robin, if I wasn't in a relationship, I would totally kiss you right now. You are a genius."

As Carla passed, the blonde girl gave a genuine smile, becoming slightly flustered at the girl's words, "Really? —I mean, thanks?"

"Wow, and I thought you were a loyal girlfriend." Steve fondly rolled his eyes at his girlfriend, acting as if he was generally offended by her comment. He knew that she indeed was loyal, and wasn't anywhere close to leaving him for anyone—girl or boy.

"You know I love you." Carla shook her head, leaning down to place a quick kiss to his lips. 

"Alright, lovebirds, wrap it up." Dustin huffed, causing the couple to pull away from each other and look at the boy,  "Let's get this going."

At Dustin's words, the group began investigating the air duct.  Steve found a ladder and set it up against the wall so he could reach the vent, unscrewing the screws that held the louver in place.  Handing the item down to Carla —who stood to the side of the ladder, keeping it steady—he took a small glance at the thing before looking down below.

"Flashlight?" he requests, Dustin who stood on the other side of the ladder, handing him one from his bag.  Muttering a small thank you, Steve turns on the item and shines it inside, the light reflecting off the metal walls. "Yeah, I don't know, man. I don't know if you can fit in here. It's like.....super tight."

Dustin confidently replied, as Steve stepped down the ladder,  "I'll fit. Trust me.  No collar bones, remember?"

Robins brows furrow at the statement, "Uh, excuse me?"

"Oh, he's uh....yeah, he's got some disease." Steve makes an attempt at explaining why Dustin was missing some of his bones, "Chry, uh....It's chrydo , um—"